Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   moving 1200 miles/2-3 days (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/moving-1200-miles-2-3-days-75607/)

kboyhan 07-20-2011 05:49 PM

moving 1200 miles/2-3 days

Still confused about taking filter and other stuff....rocks etc . Will have an aquarium already set up ...am transporting in 3 5gal pails /lids ...have 3 battery airrators and am leaving old aquarium behind .
- How do I acclimate them to new water /...they won't be in bags that I can float for a while .
- Do i take old filter with me in car and how do I package it
-will be traveling from Tx-NC ...shouldn't water temp be OK ? should I wrap in blankets?
-will have aquarium set up 1 1/2 wks before I arrive ...do I buy new filter and then replace it with my old one when I arrive with the fish
_selling or giving fish away is NOT an option !!

Please any tips or war stories would be greatly appreciated
Thanks !!

-

GwenInNM 07-20-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kboyhan (Post 743320)
Still confused about taking filter and other stuff....rocks etc . Will have an aquarium already set up ...am transporting in 3 5gal pails /lids ...have 3 battery airrators and am leaving old aquarium behind .
- How do I acclimate them to new water /...they won't be in bags that I can float for a while .
- Do i take old filter with me in car and how do I package it
-will be traveling from Tx-NC ...shouldn't water temp be OK ? should I wrap in blankets?
-will have aquarium set up 1 1/2 wks before I arrive ...do I buy new filter and then replace it with my old one when I arrive with the fish
_selling or giving fish away is NOT an option !!

Please any tips or war stories would be greatly appreciated
Thanks !!

-

I've never moved fish, so I can't help you, I'm sure someone will. I just want to say, congratulations for being a decent, good, human who cares about their fish. How many people claim they are moving and can't take a dog or cat (probably much easier than moving fish) but you're moving with your fish. Bravo!

:-P

zof 07-20-2011 07:27 PM

Never moved but let me throw some ideas out

-As for your filter I would cut it up and divide it up among the buckets, this will keep the bacteria going and the ammonia down in the buckets, then when you get to your new place put the old pieces of filter next to the new filter for a couple of weeks to start seeding the new filter.

-Temps should be ok as long as you have AC in your car, but doing anything you can to insulate the buckets will only help, just keep an eye on the temps

-As for acclimation I would just drip acclimate them and try and get the temps between the buckets and the tank as close as possible, nice thing about drip acclimation with and air stone running in the bucket is the ability to do it over a couple of hours or more, which will be much easier on the fish adjusting to completely different water parameters.

kboyhan 07-20-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 743393)
Never moved but let me throw some ideas out

-As for your filter I would cut it up and divide it up among the buckets, this will keep the bacteria going and the ammonia down in the buckets, then when you get to your new place put the old pieces of filter next to the new filter for a couple of weeks to start seeding the new filter.

-Temps should be ok as long as you have AC in your car, but doing anything you can to insulate the buckets will only help, just keep an eye on the temps

-As for acclimation I would just drip acclimate them and try and get the temps between the buckets and the tank as close as possible, nice thing about drip acclimation with and air stone running in the bucket is the ability to do it over a couple of hours or more, which will be much easier on the fish adjusting to completely different water parameters.

Posted via Mobile Device

kboyhan 07-20-2011 07:41 PM

Zof .. Thanks so much ... But... Thought my filter was the big green cylinder under the cabinet .. Do I open it and take the guts out and cut that up ? .. I know I sound like a air head .. Had the aq for over 10 years and have never really thought about the mechanics .. Just saying
Posted via Mobile Device

zof 07-21-2011 03:00 PM

So it sounds like you have a canister filter, should be pretty simple, just open it up and split all the media between the buckets, whether that involves just splitting up the pieces of the media (such as in bio balls or ceramic rings) between the buckets or cutting some sponge or other filter media up between the tanks. It will help to know what type of media was in your filter, as with bio balls or ceramic rings you can just add these right to your new filter when you get there and should only go through a minor mini cycle.