Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Fish getting caught up in Java Moss?

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Inga 
#1 ·
Anyone ever have this happen? Do any of you let your Java Moss go kind of wild in your tanks or do you only keep small "groomed" amounts? I have let mine kind of get crazy on the bottom as I like how it looks. I have noticed that it is a favorite spot for "Sailor" my Sailfin Pleco to sleep. Kind of like a nice fluffy feather bed for fishes.

I do have some concerns however. I have noticed the Corie's seem to have a little difficulty making their way through the moss. The tank is large enough and the Moss is in only certain areas that they COULD avoid it. Should I be worried that they could get stuck in the Moss? Is it possible for it to damage them? Kind of like a giant Burdock bush that grabs hold of a small animal?

#2 ·
I doubt you've anything to worry about Inga. Java Moss is unlikely to "trap" any healthy fish. And many use it for spawning characins and cyprinids, and the fry never have a problem. I have tetra fry swimming through thick strands of JM regularly.

#3 ·
Thanks Byron. I guess it is just nice to have a second opinion. I always want what is best for my fish. Seeing the fat little Cory laying in there and seemingly struggling kind of scared me. She/He made it out when I dropped some food pellets to the bottom. Guess even a thick net of Java Moss won't keep a chubby little Corydora from her/his food. ha ha I don't know how smart fish are but one would think they would learn to avoid it if it bothered them too much, right?

#5 ·
My yoyo loaches like to bury themselves in it every so often. Sometimes I have to look really hard to see that they're still moving the slightest bit. I haven't lost a single one to java moss strangulation.

Well, that is good to know. I would hate to lose a fish to my stupidity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.