Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   My tank so far (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/my-tank-so-far-75492/)

JImi 07-19-2011 08:00 AM

My tank so far

1 Attachment(s)
This is my 4 foot standard tank so far. Like an idiot I didnt write down the names of the plants I have in there. I know that there is

Amazon Swords
Hair Grass
Anubias
HC

Its a community tank with 2 Gourami, 2 Whitecloud MInnow, 2 Flying Fox, 2 Bristlenose Catifsh, 8 baby Mollies and 1 Adult Mollie.

Very much a work in progress and I did actually post another thread on here asking for help with it. I know that I want a garden on the left that runs into a cliff on the right but I am so stuck. Any suggestions would be great! :-D

Thanks all :)

GwenInNM 07-19-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JImi (Post 741358)
This is my 4 foot standard tank so far. Like an idiot I didnt write down the names of the plants I have in there. I know that there is

Amazon Swords
Hair Grass
Anubias
HC

Its a community tank with 2 Gourami, 2 Whitecloud MInnow, 2 Flying Fox, 2 Bristlenose Catifsh, 8 baby Mollies and 1 Adult Mollie.

Very much a work in progress and I did actually post another thread on here asking for help with it. I know that I want a garden on the left that runs into a cliff on the right but I am so stuck. Any suggestions would be great! :-D

Thanks all :)

I like your tank a lot! Love the wood and all the plants. If your asking for ideas for a "cliff", you can buy natural slate at any of the big garden/lumber stores, and break it in the size pieces you want and stack for a ledge look. Flagstone is also good for this. Just be careful you don't put any sharp edges of slate in (they can be smoothed easily). Slate is really cheap. You don't have to buy a whole box of them, you just pay per square, and I think it was like $1.99 per square.

I had bad luck with my male blue/Opaline Gourami, so watch them with other fish. They can be very aggressive, and if you have 2 males, they will likely fight. My male was very mean to the female I had and I had to move her to a different tank. The one in the picture could be a male, but it's hard to tell because the dorsal fin in down. The males upper fin is more pointed than a females.
Otherwise, beautiful!

Gwen

SeaHorse 07-19-2011 08:35 AM

Yes amazing. Beautiful tank. Can't wait to see it grow out!! Please keep us posted.
I also heard that there should only be one gourami in a tank as they are aggressive (never with a Betta ever, the Betta will lose).

JImi 07-19-2011 08:37 AM

Thank you Gwen, thats really nice to hear :)

As far as thr gourami go yes the blue one buiiles the gold (i have heard they fight anway) so I need to move them but I font have any options for that im afraid.

JImi 07-19-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 741382)
Yes amazing. Beautiful tank. Can't wait to see it grow out!! Please keep us posted.
I also heard that there should only be one gourami in a tank as they are aggressive (never with a Betta ever, the Betta will lose).

Thank you Jakie :)

I will keep this updated for sure as I will probbaly be hounding you all for advice. I have only been keeping fish for about 3 months and this tank is my sole tank now and it is about 2 or 3 weeks old.

onefish2fish 07-19-2011 08:40 AM

it is a very nice tank.
the fish store will mostly take a fish back if you bring it to them, otherwise maybe try a posting on craigslist.

also i thought white clouds prefered a school and a slightly cooler temp?

JImi 07-19-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 741392)
it is a very nice tank.
the fish store will mostly take a fish back if you bring it to them, otherwise maybe try a posting on craigslist.

Yeah I thought that but the gold gourami has had its attenas nipped off and is in a bad state. Was liek that when I got him.

I found out at a later date about the minnow....as I said I am very new to this lol. But they have done well by themselves and are really playful

Oh also if you want to see a log of this tank up till now you can see it here

http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/vie...278539c0e4349e

GwenInNM 07-19-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 741392)
it is a very nice tank.

also i thought white clouds prefered a school and a slightly cooler temp?

I agree - fish store should take them back. Craigslist under "pets" is a great idea too - but make sure someone else isn't just going to do the same thing and put them with other Gourami's. I posted mine for free, but suggested it be an only fish, (no replies received). Ended up giving him to my local (good) fish store. They are a great fish store and will hopefully place him in a good home vs. Petsmart or Petco who don't ask any questions of people as to the type of tank they're going in.

Gwen

Christople 07-19-2011 10:06 AM

I sold all of my tetras and guppies for 20 dollars on CG