Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Some advice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/some-advice-75491/)

JImi 07-19-2011 04:35 AM

Some advice

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

I read the amazing advice given by Byron so I decided to join as he has made the most sense I have read in anything to do with aquariums since starting a few months ago. The problem I have is purley asthetic. I do not know where to go with scaping my tank. I really like the idea of it and it looks so nice.

I have attched my picture of my 4 foot. It has really changed since I first started it not even a month ago but I want structure and a theme. It is getting there but it is still very much looking 'thrown in'

Please help and be as critical as you want, I am here to learn :O)

Jimi

Byron 07-19-2011 11:34 AM

This is quite a good aquascape now. Very natural. I think I may know what you feel you are missing though. The wood is lined up along the back which visually makes the tank look narrow (front to back) and emphasizes the length over the width.

To best explain my suggestions: There appear to be 4 chunks of wood from left side to right side, so I will consider these as 1, 2, 3 and 4 starting with the left piece. I would move #2 (the sort of "log") forward and slightly angle it, with the left end forward and the right end back. The piece of white rock will have to be moved, and this I would place over to the left of the other piece of rock; two or three pieces of rock in a sort of cluster looks more natural than spread out.

Having things like bits of wood closer to the front once or twice, and angled diagonally front to back usually increases the perception of depth. As you experiment with the above a bit, try not to move the plants until you are satisfied with the wood/rock placement. I'm envisioning the left end of that log to be roughly between those two front substrate plant groups, if that makes sense.

And welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum. Glad to have you with us.:cheers:

Byron.

brownmane 07-19-2011 11:41 AM

I think that your planting looks nice. I agree with Byron, although I'm not good with design, myself, use the wood to create depth. Also your fish will also like the hiding spots it will give them, so more spaces around/between the wood will also make it interesting for your fish.

I will warn you, though, once everything is arranged and there are so many great hiding and relaxing spaces, you will probably find yourself playing "Where's Waldo" with your fish. I always have one I can't find at any time:lol:

SinCrisis 07-19-2011 04:42 PM

are those patches of HC in the front? Assuming that it is HC Cuba, then eventually the front of the tank will be carpeted and when it runs up against that center piece of wood, the change in texture will be jarring. I would add some plants that are a little taller than the HC in patches to soften the change. Perhaps some crypt parva? Also a flora list would help with plant arrangement.

The plant in the front left corner has a drastically different shade of green from the rest of the tank and doesnt look like it belongs.

The center rock as too straight of edges, looks unnatural. I would suggest removing it or angling it in a way where it shows a more natural shape.

brownmane 07-20-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 741860)
are those patches of HC in the front? Assuming that it is HC Cuba,

Sincrisis, what is HC?

SinCrisis 07-20-2011 10:09 PM

dwarf baby tears, HC Cuba, Hemianthus callitrichoides.

JImi 07-26-2011 09:47 AM

Thank you all, I will give that a go Byron and see what occurs. I will take a pic as soon as I get my phone back :)