Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   What would you put in this tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/what-would-you-put-tank-75483/)

ladayen 07-19-2011 12:33 AM

What would you put in this tank?

So I was looking at tanks from all over trying to gauge prices and came across this "gem" on Amazon.com.

What would actually do well in a tank such as this?

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 07-19-2011 01:06 AM

you couldn't put anything fast moving or large in any way. Maybe a group of livebears or some goldfish. No corys or anything like that because the tank is not long enough and too tall for them to get to the surface. I wouldn't waste your money on it. If you have 1,000 to spend on a tank, get a 180 gallon or 220 and you'll have endless options

Doctacosa 07-20-2011 01:54 PM

Wow, that looks great!

I'm not sure if it's ideal for fish keeping (probably not), but I like how it looks . I can picture this being in a corner of my home, with a few airstones for bubles and maybe some quiet, dimming light effects. I've been playing around with the idea of getting something similar for a while now, but I've seen few alternatives...

I'd be curious to hear about possible stocking options as well.

ladayen 07-20-2011 02:03 PM

Heh yeah if I was gonna spend $1000 I'd buy a larger tank... although the best I can find at that price around here is a 70gallon corner tank kit on clearence lol.

BTW... bad Jack... goldfish shouldn't go in a tank like that. They can grow to be around 1' long. Live bearers could be an option though.

I just saw and and facepalmed lol. Looks nice yes but seems to have little practical use fishwise.

zof 07-20-2011 04:20 PM

I would turn it into a giant brine shrimp hatchery :lol: on a serious note its too narrow to do anything with, maybe an angel but I wouldn't feel right putting anything bigger then a platy in there.

Romad 07-21-2011 04:52 AM

I don't keep angels but maybe some dwarf angels would work in that tank? And they'd look great IMO.

I'll let others with more angel knowledge chime in now....

PaperclipGirl 07-23-2011 01:33 PM

That tank is only 30 gallons... really deceptive.... more importantly would be how would you clean it? espeically the lower parts - the glass, the gravel....

redchigh 07-23-2011 01:49 PM

I would stuff it full of plants, so cleaning is moot... Maybe several crinum calamistratum and crypt retrospiralis...

Then throw a wide variety of shrimps and inverts- CRS, Cherry shrimp, green shrimp, ghost shrimp, . Probably add an airstone at the bottom and some marimo balls (they would rise and sink over the course of the day)

Thay tank might even do well with freshwater jellyfish.

ladayen 07-23-2011 02:59 PM

hmm.. jellyfish, thats an interesting idea. That still wouldn't leave much room to move around at all though.

Otherwise yeah.. plants, shrimp and snails is about all I can see.

SinCrisis 07-28-2011 04:43 PM

jellyfish require a round thank, that one is rectangular. Jellyfish will not enjoy that at all.

Tall tanks like that are very impractical as the low surface area pretty much requires that you get an air-stone running in it. Some fish will not be comfortable with the depth. However, with the size of the tank, you become limited in fish you can get since vertacle swimming rooms is less important than horizontal swimming room. So as others have mentioned, slow moving fish is ideal. Your basically looking at small tetras for the tank, perhaps neons would work? For the surface, dwarf gourami may be ok. As for the bottom of the tank, inverts may be your best bet, some small shrimps maybe?