Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Vivariums and Reptiles (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/)
-   -   exo-terra inhabitants? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/exo-terra-inhabitants-75382/)

bubbles1 07-17-2011 08:05 PM

exo-terra inhabitants?

hello,
i have a small 12x12x12 exo Terra sitting around my house for a bit.
i was wondering what i could put in it? i was planning on making a cool environment for whatever critter.

some advice would be great!!!!!

GwenInNM 07-17-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles1 (Post 739537)
hello,
i have a small 12x12x12 exo Terra sitting around my house for a bit.
i was wondering what i could put in it? i was planning on making a cool environment for whatever critter.

some advice would be great!!!!!

It's a bit small for a leopard gecko, as they are not climbers and need more floor space. Does it have a heat light? You'll need that for lizards. What about 2 small cameleons? Or anole lizards? Slate can be broken into smaller pieces and stacked to create a hid. Rocks too, such as a piece of flagstone, makes nice lounging for lizards. You could also go look at firebelly toads. They need a moist environment, so you'd have to put a water bowl of some sort in the cage, but could do some nice things with that. Playsand is a great substrate, which is so cheap to buy. Petsmart has all these types of lizards. Best of luck.

bubbles1 07-19-2011 11:53 AM

thx for the advice i will look into that!!

i was thinking maybe a pair of firebelly newt or red clawed crabs??

or maybe a single crested gecko

redchigh 07-20-2011 03:14 PM

unfortunately, red claw crabs are brackish and need a bit of salt.

wannalearn 10-01-2011 01:29 AM

i have to agree, crested gecko.. room temp is fine.. feed crickets, little baby food every now and then.. lot of plants for climbing... and your pretty much good to go

willow 10-16-2011 03:45 AM

fire belly or yellow belly toads,cute,room temp,live food though,locus,crickets,meal worms
(freshly shed ones go down well)

pittipuppylove 02-25-2012 11:06 AM

I've kept cresties before, and a 12"x12"x12" is to small - They need more room, even as babies, to move around. You could look into dart frogs, although I haven't kept them, I've heard that certain species can thrive in small habitats :)

lovehatepassion 02-25-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannalearn (Post 846887)
i have to agree, crested gecko.. room temp is fine.. feed crickets, little baby food every now and then.. lot of plants for climbing... and your pretty much good to go

DO NOT FEED BABY FOOD TO A CRESTED.

its very bad for them. if you must feed 'human food' use a puree of mixed fruit from the blender. available also is repashy, a powder diet that contains all the nutrients your crestie will require. supplementing with crickets as a treat is okay, just dust them with calcium.

a 12x12x12 would be okay for a baby crested but you would need to upgrade after awhile. another option is a gargoyle gecko (same diet as a crestie) but again you would have to upgrade as it gets older.