Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   will this work? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/will-work-75377/)

whiteslate 07-17-2011 07:54 PM

will this work?

I plan to set up my freshwater 37 show soon. this is not my first tank so i understand the cycle. i would like to know if my info is correct on fish though i belive if it is this will be a healthy tank plz advise if anything will not work.
Light:
full spectrum 6500k

Filtration:
TopFin 40
Fulval 205 canister

Heater:
200w

Water:
Hardness 8.2 dGH
PH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Temp. 74F

Plants:
2 Wisteria
2 Java Fern
Anubias
3 Amazon swords
Moss ball

Fish:
Dwarf Gourami
7 Glowlight Tetras
3 Sunburst Platys
4 Fancy male Guppys
10 Ghost shrimp

Decor:
1 large fake tree stump with cave
2 lava rocks with large holes

Substrate:
Flourite plant base mixed with sand
Thin layer of Tiny lava rock

Christople 07-17-2011 10:43 PM

teh guppies might conflict with the gourami... more the gourami to the guppies

ladayen 07-18-2011 01:34 AM

Water actually seems a bit soft for livebearers. (Guppies and Platy)

Byron 07-18-2011 09:51 AM

I would only use one filter, the Fluval is best of the two for this setup.

The water hardness is borderline soft/medium hard so depending upon how the tank biology goes, it could lower the pH in time. For livebearers, some dolomite gravel or crushed coral in a nylon bag in one of the filter chambers will keep it up for livebearers and won't bother the dwarf gourami much.

By teh way, this gourami has serious problems health-wise, as noted in our profile. I would not buy any from common stores, only from a very reputable fish store or breeder.

whiteslate 07-18-2011 02:14 PM

ok thanks everyone i will add the coral and i was planing to buy the gourami from a lfs it is clean and there are never any dead fish. they also stock saltwater fish in the $200 and have a 22in clam for $1000 so they seem like a good choice to buy the gourami

Byron 07-18-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteslate (Post 740419)
ok thanks everyone i will add the coral and i was planing to buy the gourami from a lfs it is clean and there are never any dead fish. they also stock saltwater fish in the $200 and have a 22in clam for $1000 so they seem like a good choice to buy the gourami

The issue is the fish itself. This para from the profile explains it:

Certainly a beautiful fish, but one that must be carefully considered before being added to a community aquarium, both for the reasons above under Compatibility and on the basis of health. This species frequently carries a disease known as "dwarf gourami iridovirus" which some believe has been caused by successive generations of inbreeding of this fish in the far east. Imports of the species often have high losses, and this disease is now known to be transmittable to other species in the same aquarium with an infected gourami. Fish purchased should be very carefully examined, and if possible only acquired from local breeders.

The Honey Gourami is a safer bet.

whiteslate 07-18-2011 03:04 PM

Ok the honey will do fine in my tank so that its what i will look for. thanks so much for the help i know im asking a lot of Q's but i want to get it right the first time

ladayen 07-18-2011 04:01 PM

The only stupid question is the one not asked :)

Byron 07-19-2011 10:40 AM

Agree. I wish everyone would ask first before buying some fish, it could save a lot of grief. And read our fish profiles.;-)