Is the ICH gone??
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, but I've been an aquarist for about 3 years now. I set up a new 25 gal about 3 months ago and cycled it with substrate from a clean, 3 yr old 10 gal (which I tore down). In my inexperience I loaded my new tank with new fish without quarantining any of them. Horrible outbreak of ich, lost fish and my tank is currently recovering. I've googled so much on ich and parasites that my eyeballs ache. Hoping your experience can assist me as I move forward. I'm at my 5th week of higher heat and salt and it's time for me to return my tank to normal temp. Also, I have a one lone praecox who needs some schooling friends. I'm not in a hurry though! Thanks.
1. Size of tank? 25 gal
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? 10 ppm
d. pH, KH and GH? pH is 8.0, not sure of KH and GH due to test kit limitation.
e. Test kit? API Master Kit
3. Temperature? Currently at 84 to fight ich
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 3 months
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? 1 Praecox Rainbox - adult, 4 Bumblebee Gobies - teenagers. Had them all for 3 months.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? No. All added at the same time w/other fish that have died.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? Fake plants only. Scared of live plants due to my high pH and the alteration they can create in water parameters. I'm still researching adding them.
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? One Big Wonder Rock. one Plastic Cave and one Cychlid Stone for the gobies. (and all the plastic plants)
9. a. Filtration? Yes. one Aquaclear 50 and one Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 (I used the Aqueon from my old 10 gal to help cycle my new 25 gal. I just kept it in there after the tank cycled due to all the meds I needed to eventually remove from the water.) I also added a bubbler to increase the oxygen in the water.
b. Heater? 200W
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? Lights on at 6:30a, out at 9:30p. Flourescent
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? Yes. Diffused only. Windows are across the room. Curtains up at 6:30a.
11. a. Water change schedule? Every 2 weeks - when not treating with meds. I had to do more recent changes due to meds killing my beneficial bacteria. All is stable now though.
b. Volume of water changed? 25% to 50%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water
d. Water conditioner used? Seachem Prime
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Every 2 weeks with a nice, strong vaccum.
12. Foods? Frozen Brine shrimp, Peas for the praecox and occassionally Frozen blood worms - which now freak me out due to possible parasite introduction into the tank again.
How often are they fed? twice a day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? I may have seen a recent flash? Or just paranoid. A gobie didn't come out and eat this morning, which made me more paranoid.
b. Appearance of poop? normal
c. Appearance of gills? normal.
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? No.
b. What meds were used? First I used NOX-ICH for 3 day treatment ( which is malachite green .50% & sodium chloride .50%).) Parasite returned within 5 days. Told I might have velvet so I was referred to Acriflavin for 10 days. Parasite returned within 5 days. Due to gobies, I couldn't use copper so I was referred to metro and NOX-ICH as a combo for 4 days. Parasite returned in 9 days on one goby. At a loss, I reverted to trying higher heat and salt. Tank has been clear for 5 weeks. I'm nervous of another outbreak because of repeated opinions that salt won't work.
Sorry for the long post, but I need some expert advice! Thanks!
Definitely not an expert sorry! If you haven't noticed any spots for over 2 weeks and you say it has been clear for 5, I would say the Ich has gone! The recent "flash" may have just been a normal irritation or from the salt etc., but worth keeping an eye on. All the different meds. used may have started to take its toll on the goby. I would start to gradually bring the tank back to normal.
I have used heat/salt with success, it took around 3 weeks.
Beaches, thank you! The rest of my tank guys looks great. I'm overly ready to bring it back to normal!! I'll take your advice since you had some success yourself. Experience is best! My one goby is totally having issues but it doesn't appear to be ich related. I've posted another new thread for him. Thanks again!!
Goby is gasping w/tail up
I moved this last post because I meant for it to be a new thread. Sorry - I'm a newbie!
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2