Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Rock changing pH?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/rock-changing-ph-7522/)

FISHSD 08-13-2007 06:00 PM

Rock changing pH??

I have granite rocks that i am planning on adding to my tank. I boiled them for over 15 minutes. I then poured vinegar on them to see if they would fizz. People said that if they fizz then dont use them because they are leaking calcium. Mine didnt fizz but i am still hesitant to use them because i put them in a bucket for a week and it the pH was 8.0 or so. I think my tap is around 7.8. My ph in my tank is around 7.6. I have a redtail and am afraid that the pH might raise and kill it.

FISHSD 08-13-2007 06:08 PM

I just saw that sticky about not boiling a rock and it really scared me. Everyone said to boil it though.

Lupin 08-13-2007 06:18 PM

You can use hot water but not boiling water. We know the difference between hot and boiling. Don't use boiling water regardless of the rocks being porous or not. It's for your own safety.

pH cannot kill a fish unless it fluctuates by a large difference.

FISHSD 08-13-2007 06:22 PM

It sounds like a lot of people dont know about this because alot of people said to boil them before putting in my aquarium. So a fluctuation of 0.5 or less of pH wont harm my fish??

Lupin 08-13-2007 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISHSD
It sounds like a lot of people dont know about this because alot of people said to boil them before putting in my aquarium. So a fluctuation of 0.5 or less of pH wont harm my fish??

Was the pH increasing gradually or by all of a sudden? Gradual process will not harm a fish but a sudden process can.

FISHSD 08-13-2007 06:41 PM

I dont know probably sudden because i was going to add the rocks that i boiled and are granite.

FISHSD 08-14-2007 06:28 PM

If i were to add that rock would there be a sudden pH change because i think it may raise my pH around .5 points.

jsm11482 08-14-2007 08:00 PM

Are you certain the rock is changing th PH? Start with fresh, declorinated water in a bucket, throw an air stone in for movement, take a reading a lil while later, add the rock, let it sit for a day/night then take another reading. Also, the lighting you have on the bucket during your readings is important. Keep the bucket under the same lighting all throughout your test. pH tends to drop w/out light.

FISHSD 08-14-2007 08:55 PM

Well i put the rocks in a bucket and let them sit for over a week and then took the pH of the water and it was like 8.0 or so and my tap water is like 7.7 or so.

jsm11482 08-14-2007 09:37 PM

Sure, all I was getting at is that lighting and water movement can have an effect. The pH change will not be instantaneous when you drop the rock in, it will change gradually, probably over night so as long as your fish are OK around 8 pH then there shouldn't be an issue.