Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Brag about your LFS.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/brag-about-your-lfs-75158/)

Jbrofish8 07-14-2011 06:25 PM

Brag about your LFS..

I'd love to see some of the locally owned fish stores that people go to in their area.

This is mine - Exotic Underworlds > Home

Its an awesome fish store.. They mainly specialize in salt water tanks but they have some great planted and fresh water tanks on display.

The owner is awesome and knows so much about all types of setups. I dont know what I'd do if I only had Petsmart to go to...

AbbeysDad 07-14-2011 07:56 PM

You can't judge a book by the cover. My local Petsmart just happens to have a gal that really knows her stuff.
Hey....it can happen. I think she knows what she knows out of a personal passion for the hobby, not because it was the only job she could get. :-)

Jbrofish8 07-14-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 736178)
You can't judge a book by the cover. My local Petsmart just happens to have a gal that really knows her stuff.
Hey....it can happen. I think she knows what she knows out of a personal passion for the hobby, not because it was the only job she could get. :-)

Oh im sure not all petsmarts are bad... Mine just happens to be awful. ;)

Romad 07-15-2011 06:49 AM

I don't have one anymore ... sigh...

When I lived on the south shore in MA, it was Lovely Pets in Quincy.

SeaHorse 07-15-2011 07:54 AM

We have an amazing staff at Big Al's in Newmarket Ontario. Once again I went in there last week and they fixed my problem... for free!! The push switch on my 10 gallon light unit fell apart. They swapped it for a whole new light unit. I had bought it at their Boxing day sale, but no receipt, no bill, no problemo.
The last time I went in there to buy a new filter, I spoke to the resident filter expert who refused to sell me a new one!! He said I had one of the best at home, a Eheim canister... go home and check a list of things and come back with it (for repair) if I don't find what is wrong. Bingo, one of the parts was not seated/locked properly. He could have sold me a new filter!
They love to have you come in and wander, talk, research and go home. They know you will be back when you are ready to buy the right fish. They want you to be successful with your tanks. Thank You Big Al's Newmarket!!!
(I am within an hours drive of 3 Big Al's in 3 different directions and don't have any "warm and fuzzzies" for the other two!)

iamgray 07-15-2011 08:09 AM

I can't brag about my LFS because neither of them are worth bragging about. The staff in both stores are very good as far as their knowledge goes, but one of the stores doesn't have very good conditions and there are often dead fish in the tanks, and at the other store, although the staff knows what they're talking about, they lack social skills and are often abrasive.

I find the staff at my local PetSmart and Petland stores are very good at both stores, however I've had bad luck with fish from PetSmart and within the past 6 months or so I've taken my business to Petland, and I have no complaints. There are a few diehard fish geeks working at the one in my city.

Christople 07-15-2011 09:30 AM

heres mine! Home look at products and then plants and fish, I love them

Byron 07-15-2011 01:40 PM

I am fortunate to have several reasonably-good fish stores in the Greater Vancouver area, from a couple of good "normal" pet stores, to a fish-only store, to an importer without a store who works out of his fishroom. One of the best is Aquariums West, and this is their website: Jeannie has owned this store since she opened it 31 years ago. A few photos of my aquaria are in her customer's gallery. Staff are all hobbyists, and knowledgeable.
Aquariums West.com

Jbrofish8 07-15-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 736944)
I am fortunate to have several reasonably-good fish stores in the Greater Vancouver area, from a couple of good "normal" pet stores, to a fish-only store, to an importer without a store who works out of his fishroom. One of the best is Aquariums West, and this is their website: Jeannie has owned this store since she opened it 31 years ago. A few photos of my aquaria are in her customer's gallery. Staff are all hobbyists, and knowledgeable.
Aquariums West.com

That looks like an amazing shop! Im jealous!

PaperclipGirl 07-15-2011 08:08 PM

there are no fish stores within 50 miles of where I live... :(