Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Need Dense growth, And A Lot of It (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/need-dense-growth-lot-75122/)

Christople 07-14-2011 10:07 AM

Need Dense growth, And A Lot of It

Hi all, I need a dense growing plant that would be best if it comes from where kribs come but if not I don't care. It needs to be thick growth, hard to see through. I already have amazon sword plants, thank you for your help.

Byron 07-14-2011 10:46 AM

African plants are not common, Anubias is one, Red Tiger Lotus another (this isn't "thick" obviously), and maybe a couple stem plants.

Christople 07-14-2011 10:48 AM

I am trying to do a half biotope thing but I'm open to anything... just a dense growing plant that isn't too demanding

redchigh 07-15-2011 01:56 PM

Well, there's also Aponogeton boivinianus, Aponogeton longiplumulosus, Aponogeton Madagascariensis, Aponogeton ulvaceus, Bacopa Madagascariensis (Just use Bacopa Monnerei, it's easier to keep and looks similiar), Hydrotriche hottoniifloria (Looks like hornwort, might try it instead), Blyxa aubertii, Ammania Gracilis, and Bolbitis heudeloti can be found there often.

Marsilea, Eleocharis, Anubias, Nymphaea and Water Lettuce can all be found in parts of africa, but aren't native (According to Mongabay)

(Although most mentioned aren't native anyway)

The Aponogetons will fill in fast, and you can try the Bacopa and Ammania.

Christople 07-15-2011 10:47 PM

would you care giving common names

Byron 07-16-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 737473)
would you care giving common names

That may be a problem for redchigh, since most plants have no common names. When I write plant profiles, I have to make most of them up. A very few have commonly-used names, that are often simply the scientific genus name, Cabomba for instance, but this can refer to any one of several Cabomba species. Amazon sword is usually applied to Echinodorus bleherae, because that is the most often seen species in stores. Ludwigia is usually Ludwigia repens, but there are other species. Aponogeton and Cryptocoryne are almost always just the scientific name or an "anglicized" version, like Wendt Crypt for Cryptocoryne wendtii. And so on.

It pays to learn scientific names of fish and plants, otherwise you really don't know which species one is talking aboout.

Christople 07-16-2011 10:22 AM

Rats... I don't know many scientific names of plants...

Byron 07-16-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 737861)
Rats... I don't know many scientific names of plants...

Neither did I until I learned them.;-)

I have local stores that make up the common names for most of the fish. Useless.

Christople 07-16-2011 07:26 PM

Well I know some swords and cabomba, I am a lot better with fish

leogtr 07-16-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 738420)
Well I know some swords and cabomba, I am a lot better with fish

get a Broadleaf Amazon Sword (Echinodorus Bleherithose) those grow huge and some give babies really fast.