Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello everyone (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hello-everyone-75073/)

tjohnson722 07-13-2011 05:43 PM

Hello everyone

Hello everyone, my name is Taryn. Short history about myself first. I am a married mother of 2 girls. Madelyn 3 yrs and Astasia 18 months old. I am a Corrections Officer for 5 years. I currently own 2 dogs German Shepherd, Pitbull. I have 4 snakes: Ginger-Ball Python, Zeus-Hogg Island Boa, Shrek-Red Tail Boa, and un named baby Burmese Python. We did own 2 goldfish in a 35 gal hexagon aquarium but after short consideration got rid of those and now looking to start Freshwater tanks.

I did a little research before hand. Tried to figure out what I needed to start before buying fish (just like you have to do with reptiles). . I am using the 35 gal hexagon for living room and 10 gal for my daughters room. I have the hood, lights, filters, heaters, substrate currently in place. I bought an API master test kit. After testing both tanks with just the above in it I have a ph level at 7.6, No Ammonia or NO2 levels, and a 20ppm NO3 level. After reading a few things on here my questions are this:

1. Can I switch tanks in a few months to a larger tank if I decide to get larger fish? (reason for this is all my tanks except for 35 hex - 2-75 gallon, 1- 55 gallon, 1-30 gallon are currently occupied by snakes until we finish building custom houses).

2. I plan on getting neon for my daughters tank bc they are small and she likes the colors. But I plan on getting piranahs (2), african chichilids (4-6), and a frog becuase Jacks said they were all compatible. From experience I know Pet stores are not always correct so hopefully someone has some insight on compatibility.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading!

tjohnson722 07-13-2011 06:07 PM

ok after reading some on the species for the larger tank, I am open to suggestions. I would like colorful hardy active fish. I am not afraid of feeding live food just pirhanas may be a bit too aggressive. I do want to get the frog I seen and for the life of me cannot remember the name of it. All I know is it was white. I am thinking African Chichlids for the variety of color (pardon my spelling on that) and the frog.

Just for the record, this is alot of information to take in at once. And I had no idea what I was getting myself into lol. Thought it would be easy and maybe it is once you get started but still very very confusing.

BarbH 07-13-2011 11:31 PM

Welcome to TFK :-D Sounds like you are off to a great start and have been doing your research :-D For the frog that you are talking about sounds like it could be an african clawed frog, which I do believe is recommended not to be kept with other fish, because it may it the smaller fish or become food for larger fish. Yes there is alot to learn with this hobby. I have learned alot in the last two months, but haven't even scratched the surface.

Byron 07-14-2011 07:18 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum. Glad you joined us.

To your questions, yes, you can move fish from one existing tank to another new tank, with some preparation that i won't get into now. [You might want to post this in the appropriate section of the forum, in this case Freshwater Aquarium, where more will see it and contribute.]

I would not mix other fish with rift lake (African) cichlids. They have specific water parameter needs, and can be aggressive. Most other fish cannot manage in small spaces with these fish--and in this case any aquarium is a small space.

We have fish profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page, with many (if not most) of the commonly-available freshwater fish, and some plants too. Information on water parameters, minimum tank size, compatibility, environmental needs, etc.

Byron.

deanb 07-27-2011 03:18 PM

hi there welcome

ladayen 07-28-2011 01:11 AM

Welcome :)

As to the piranhas... I wouldn't say anything is compatible with those lol. It's a kill or be killed world with those guys. A nip from a toothless fish wont generally do much damage to another fish, a nip from a toothed fish can really hurt. The only fully aquatic frogs I know of are quite small and would certainly not be compatible with piranhas. I will also throw out there that live food unless absolutely necessary is a bad idea in the fish world due to the likelyhood of the feeder fish carrying parasites and diseases.

I have a 3year old daughter myself(well, she'll be 3 in 3 days lol) and I wouldn't recommend putting a tank in her room. Mine is constantly trying to feed the fish and other "helpful" things. A friend of ours little boy tried to help with changing the water.. unfortuantly he couldn't reach the tap so he found another clear liquid... vinegar.

As to the neons, they are colorful but not all that hardy. You want to make sure the tank is established before adding them. Guppy's are reasonably hardy, colorful but they do breed like rabbits(ok faster).. and speaking of kids one of mine is crying lol. I gotta go get him back to bed. I'll try and follow up tomorrow.

ladayen 07-28-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbH (Post 735094)
Welcome to TFK :-D Sounds like you are off to a great start and have been doing your research :-D For the frog that you are talking about sounds like it could be an african clawed frog, which I do believe is recommended not to be kept with other fish, because it may it the smaller fish or become food for larger fish. Yes there is alot to learn with this hobby. I have learned alot in the last two months, but haven't even scratched the surface.

I'm not sure about the clawed frog, but I do have several African Dwarf Frog.These guys actually are decent community animals. They are technically carnivores but they dont get large at all, max 2". So while they might eat fry(freshly hatched/born fish) they cant eat anything big. Although I'm pretty sure it was these guys that pulled my snail out of it's shell. One thing to note is that they do need oxygen so you cant have a deep tank. I'vegot mine in a 35g thats 22" high and I wouldn't recommend going above that.

One more note on Piranhas, they are illegal in several states.

onefish2fish 07-28-2011 09:38 AM

african dwarf frogs sometimes struggle in the hustle of a community tank. they hold their own, however when the dinner bell chimes they arnt the quickest to the table.

regardless, welcome!

ladayen 07-28-2011 10:19 AM

It is true that african dwarf frogs are not the quickest to get to the food so keep in mind you may have to use a turkey baster to get the food down to the frogs... if we do not do this our danios and rasboras eat it all first.
Another small fish that looks really pretty other than neons are harlequin rasbora there colors really come out in groups of 8 or more I find.

nice pirhana 07-28-2011 10:25 AM

welcome to the forum :wave: