Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Ooops, I'm a Daddy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/ooops-im-daddy-7506/)

jtreeinpa 08-12-2007 05:42 PM

Ooops, I'm a Daddy

When my wife looked at our 20g tank today, we found 8 mickey mouse platy fry. We are new fish owners, we have a fairly populated 20L with a pleco 5 danios 5 neon tetras, 5 mickeys, 3 very cool mystery snails and one recently deceased red tail shark in a cycled tank. Obviously we didn't see the warning signs of impending fatherhood, hence my post. We have seperated the fry to a 2.5g tank, but what now??? Please help.

Lupin 08-12-2007 06:20 PM

Welcome to Fishforum.com.:wave:

Congratulations! You will need more tanks as they breed. If you cannot cope, you will have to leave more incoming fry in the main community so the fry will be eliminated.

beetlebz 08-12-2007 08:49 PM

did you supply you and yours with appropriate cigars?

sorry, i brought nothing to the table this round :oops:

tophat665 08-12-2007 10:09 PM

You will be overrun with fry soon.

Find someone who needs a supply of livebearers or livebearer fry. Do not ask why they need them or to see them again. Either that or get another 20 gallon tank and grow the fry out a bit. Discard (shovel into your tomato plants, feed to your cats, freeze and return to the humane society) all but the best, biggest, healthiest, most colorful fish. Trade these to someone for comparable fish. Reintroduce them into your main tank.

Cue the Elton John Music) It's the circle of life...

Actually, if you are going to keep livebearers, you should just get used to throwing the fry away.

If you are actually setting out to breed livebearers, then you'll need at least 4 tanks: A male tank, a female tank, a breeding tank, and a fry grow out tank. You'll end up with nicer fish at the end of it, but it's a lot of work to go through for fish you can get for a buck 29. And you'll have to throw away even more fry. It's called culling, and it really sucks. (Or keep a predator tank....)

jtreeinpa 08-13-2007 09:22 AM

Thanks for the replies lupin and tophat. After I posted this, we noticed that four of the danios and another mickey appear to be in the family way. We've tried to raise them in a God fearing household, we just don't know where we've gone wrong. :BIGweepy:

(That was just a feeble attempt at a joke, please don't take it as anything other than that.)

I don't have any problem with leaving them in the tank, however my 2 yo daughter might. So we may have to have the circle of life talk, again thanks.

Oh, this is for beetlebz :smoke: I have fish babies, huzzah!

soco1125 08-13-2007 09:53 AM

i have a tankful of feeder guppies for the sole purpose of feeding them to my other fish :) i don't necessarily enjoy killing them, but they provide food for my angels, catfish, and soon an african butterfly.

Steffiweff 08-13-2007 03:58 PM

Congratulations!

Don't worry too much about the danios being preggers. Chances are the eggs won't survive too long in a community tank.