Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   my new addition :):):) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/my-new-addition-75052/)

fryup 07-13-2011 01:58 PM

my new addition :):):)

1 Attachment(s)
dicus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love it, he/she is bout 3 inch :)

Christople 07-13-2011 02:53 PM

discus like to be in groups of 6... I know it's a wallet buster but it's for the fish. Also very nice

fryup 07-13-2011 04:48 PM

I will be getting maybe 3 more , its just a lot of money at 1 time so im doing it weekly , gona get another stripy 1 and 2 orange/pink :):):)
Posted via Mobile Device

Christople 07-13-2011 05:11 PM

again, sorry to burst your bubble, but if you do that then the first fish will be the domanint and attack the others (possibly)

fryup 07-13-2011 05:19 PM

There only small , I think it could work :):):)
Posted via Mobile Device

SeaHorse 07-13-2011 05:19 PM

Hope your water PH is lower than 7. don't they like acidic water? I can't do them.... ours is 8.0-8.2. And I don't recommend trying to change it, it changes back on it's own too easily. Drift wood can lower PH naturally can't it? Anyone add to this? I want you to succeed so just adding my two cents, since the ones I had many years ago died rather quickly after purchase... could have been any number of things.
Good luck with him/her. Very pretty!

Christople 07-13-2011 05:56 PM

so changing pH with chemicals doesn't work because of the GH won't change and it will bring up the pH. Peat moss works,Co2 works and there are a few soils that do (I have one) and they also work.my pH with Co2 and ADA soil is 6 or below (test kit doesn't go as low as it is.) And out of the tap it's 7.6. Discus do like acidic water and also soft.

rrcoolj 07-13-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 734614)
so changing pH with chemicals doesn't work because of the GH won't change and it will bring up the pH. Peat moss works,Co2 works and there are a few soils that do (I have one) and they also work.my pH with Co2 and ADA soil is 6 or below (test kit doesn't go as low as it is.) And out of the tap it's 7.6. Discus do like acidic water and also soft.

Agreed, there is nothing wrong with lowering pH and GH it's just most people don't know how to do it right. It is also true that lowering pH is more difficult than raising pH. You might also consider a tap water purifier for aquariums.

fryup 07-15-2011 02:24 AM

well its eating swimming and gill movements are all normal so it shud be ok :):):)

fryup 07-18-2011 05:27 PM

I now have him a friend, I got him 2 days later , hes orange will black bars down his side, looks very happy to hav a friend :):):)
Posted via Mobile Device