Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   maintaining pH (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/maintaining-ph-7505/)

hjkaga 08-12-2007 06:11 PM

maintaining pH

how can I keep the pH up in my tanks? i have been using pH up additive, but it doesn't keep it up. the water i use in my tanks has a very low pH so I need something to raise it. is pH up my only option? if so how often will I need to add some to keep the pH stable?

Lupin 08-12-2007 07:09 PM

What is your tapwater's pH? How high do you adjust? What are your GH and KH? Do not use pH adjusting chemicals when attempting to increase your pH. It will never work. The moment the effects wear off, the pH will swing harming or even killing your fish. Use limestone or crushed oysters to increase your pH.

hjkaga 08-12-2007 07:27 PM

my tapwater's pH is around 6.2......I need the tanks to be at least 7.0, preferrably a little higher for my mollie tank. where do you get limestone and crushed oyster? i dont have a test kit for GH and KH.

Falina 08-12-2007 08:02 PM

A substrate of crushed coral works well to raise the Ph of my tank for the snails. You should be able to get this from yuor lfs.

I would stay well away from ph-adjusting chemicals - not good for the fishes!

hjkaga 08-12-2007 08:06 PM

so i just replace the gravel with crushed coral? what if it raises the pH too much? or should I just add it on top of the gravel?

Falina 08-12-2007 08:08 PM

I've got a mix of roughly 50/50. If you like (and what I did to begin with but found it wasn't enough) just get a clean pair of tights and make little balls flled with crushed coral and add them. Doesn't look very good but can be done to begin with to see how much you need but I have water that had a ph of roughly 6, so similar to yours, and I found I really needed the extra coral.

hjkaga 08-12-2007 08:39 PM

thanks, i will call around tomorrow to see if i can find someone that sells it.

about how much did you end up needing? i have a ten gal and a five gal that i need to raise the ph in.

jim21 08-13-2007 12:26 AM

If you want to use limestone, I have a few links of some places I've bought some nice rocks from. Here in Texas they call it "Texas holey rock" (due to the holes in the rock) and it does a great job of keeping my pH at a nice constant level (around 7.6 for the discus), plus it looks great in the tank! It's collected around the Austin area, and you may be able to find some in your LFS.

Hope this helps,
-jim

hjkaga 08-13-2007 02:21 PM

i bought some crushed coral and added a little to each tank. now the water is cloudy. should i have rinsed it first?

hjkaga 08-14-2007 01:33 PM

after adding crushed coral to a tank how long does it take till it regulates the pH to what it is going to keep it at? I need to know when to test to tell if I need more crushed coral or not.