Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   snail not moving in tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/snail-not-moving-tank-75034/)

GwenInNM 07-13-2011 07:30 AM

snail not moving in tank

I noticed my yellow mystery snail in one place, with his trap closed. I thought that was strange, so I put him in a bowl with a bit of food. After a long while (over a half hour) he slowly did come out and seemed to eat a bit. So, at least I knew he wasn't dead. I put him back in the tank last night, and this morning, he is still in the exact spot, closed up. Something is definately wrong but I don't know what. Any ideas what to do? Should I just leave him and expect him to die?

Thanks

Gwen

DKRST 07-13-2011 08:49 AM

Not really much you can do. Check the water conditions, do a partial change, don't over feed! I'd recommend checking the tank temperature, perhaps it's a little low? Try not to worry too much, snails can go a long time between feedings.

SeaHorse 07-13-2011 09:43 AM

I have the same problem. Mystery snail. Closed up... not eating and not doing his job to clean my now algae covered tank. !!
The LFS says that it is common, they can do this for long periods of time. He did say that if/when he dies the trap door will be fully open. So as long as the door is shut or semi shut... it's alive.

But he's not doin his job!!

GwenInNM 07-13-2011 09:58 AM

Thank you both for the replies. Glad to know it may be normal. Sorry Jackie for you if you've now got a mess in your tank. I have my 3 oto cats who are doing a fab job, so I'm not worried about that. I moved my snail over to this tank, as I'm working on lowering ph and raising temp in other tank, and don't think snail would thrive in 82 degrees for my upcoming German Blue Rams. Glad to know about the trap being open and that means he will have died.

Gwen

SeaHorse 07-13-2011 10:57 AM

Well I did notice that the tank temp was down, the heater had gotten unplugged for a fan that was trying to push the airconditioned cold air out into the rest of the house.... Ie cold tank. There is only a Betta in there with him, 10 Gal, So, I keep looking, checking on him, sometimes he's in the same place, sometimes it's moved but inactive. They also said it will stink if he dies but I don't want to haul him out every two days to sniff him. LOL
Can Oto's go in with an aggresive betta? I don't know anything about Otos

brackish1 07-13-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 733984)
Well I did notice that the tank temp was down, the heater had gotten unplugged for a fan that was trying to push the airconditioned cold air out into the rest of the house.... Ie cold tank. There is only a Betta in there with him, 10 Gal, So, I keep looking, checking on him, sometimes he's in the same place, sometimes it's moved but inactive. They also said it will stink if he dies but I don't want to haul him out every two days to sniff him. LOL
Can Oto's go in with an aggresive betta? I don't know anything about Otos

lol, im doing that with my red onions at the moment. Sniffing :roll: I think one may have died as the whole shell is wide open with no fleshy bit. No idea what happened as the other 2 are fine. Maybe the Assasins went on the attack but the red onions are 4 times bigger so I cant imagine that would have happened.

SeaHorse 07-13-2011 05:13 PM

LOL I had to google Red Onions... I pictured you in the kitchen making dinner....Ummm Assasins?...Oh wait maybe that is a snail..... oooohhh perty!!!
Or its crawling around naked!! :oops:

Lindelaur 09-05-2011 12:55 AM

questions

My mystery snail has been floating around at the top recently and won't come down. I looked up some stuff and some people said that it could be because she's wanting to lay eggs? So I put one of my nets and bent it like one site said to do and now she is just sitting in there are won't move anywhere else. I made the net so she could move easily out of water or in. Its been almost two days. I can see her moving around a little bit. What should I do? Also there is a lot of empty space in her shell. I guess I didn't notice that before. Is that normal?

GwenInNM 09-05-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindelaur (Post 813737)
My mystery snail has been floating around at the top recently and won't come down. I looked up some stuff and some people said that it could be because she's wanting to lay eggs? So I put one of my nets and bent it like one site said to do and now she is just sitting in there are won't move anywhere else. I made the net so she could move easily out of water or in. Its been almost two days. I can see her moving around a little bit. What should I do? Also there is a lot of empty space in her shell. I guess I didn't notice that before. Is that normal?

I noticed a bit of empty space in my Mystery snails's shell too. Mine died awhile ago, after weeks of doing nothing. . . sitting in one spot, not moving. Best of luck with yours.

Gwen