Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Danios Hiding? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/danios-hiding-74981/)

darylgsd619 07-12-2011 07:43 PM

Danios Hiding?

I have a 55 gallon tank all set up and cycled and just put three danios in there today. They are the only fish in there right now. At first they were all swimming around a lot, but now all three of them have taken to hiding in some of the rocks or under plants. Is this normal or is something wrong?

GwenInNM 07-13-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darylgsd619 (Post 733207)
I have a 55 gallon tank all set up and cycled and just put three danios in there today. They are the only fish in there right now. At first they were all swimming around a lot, but now all three of them have taken to hiding in some of the rocks or under plants. Is this normal or is something wrong?

They may prefer a number of 5 to feel less stressed. If they don't start coming out soon, there may be a problem, but probably they were just nervous being put in the tank.

Gwen

Byron 07-13-2011 12:47 PM

They need a larger group. Minimum with danio species is 6, but as you have room, more is better. Shoaling fish occur in large groups and have a need for that, so the more the better. They also need "security" like plants, wood, decor around them. Gwen is quite correct, they are probably reacting to a new environment, but the stress can be reduced by providing what they "expect" naturally, namely more of them and some cover. And long-term to be really healthy, this is mandatory.

You can read more about this in our profile, not sure which danio you have but it is probably in our profiles; second tab fromm the left in the blue bar across the top. Danio are cyprinids so they will be listed under that category.

Byron.

darylgsd619 07-14-2011 12:57 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I did read the info in the fish profiles, I added only three becuase I was under the impression you are supposed to add fish gradually like 1-3 a week. Is it ok for me to add more fish to my tank quicker?

BarbH 07-14-2011 01:13 AM

With shoaling fish you are better in adding a larger group of them at the same time, it will cause less stress on the fish.

Byron 07-14-2011 11:33 AM

Agree. And in a larger tank (55g) you have more water volume to dissipate the ammonia so this is better than it would be in a small tank where the fish/water ratio is significantly less. And you mention plants, so assuming these are live plants, they will assimilate all the ammonia from a few danio. Another 4-5 (or more if you really like them) is good.

deanb 07-27-2011 04:29 PM

i have 4 2 zebra and 2 gold never had a problem they love all playing together

ladayen 07-27-2011 08:15 PM

In my 35g tank the magic number for my schooling/shoaling fish seems to be 8. They are kinda lethargic with less then that. With the larger tank you may want even more. The difference from when I had 6 to when I added a couple more to get 8 was huge :)

Reece 08-11-2011 01:21 PM

I have 4 of them and they play happily, you may want to get another one but I recommend getting another 3 as a min of 6 is best for them

Fatin 09-03-2011 10:54 AM

hi