Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   10 Gallon Build Log (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/10-gallon-build-log-74917/)

bigehugedome 07-11-2011 11:14 PM

10 Gallon Build Log

Hey guys,

I decided to go ahead and setup a 10 gallon, and decided to start a small log for anyone who is interested, and and so you can help me :-P. This is a continuation of this thread:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...k-ideas-74412/

This will be my last tank for a least a year until I move into a bigger place. It will either stick some ember tetras, dwarf rasbora and pygmy cories or 3 dwarf puffers. Have not decided yet, and it will depend on what I find locallly.

I painted the back of the tank black. It came out OK. It is a play sand substrate, I washed it for about 2 hours, it got really dirty once I filled the tank so I will be doing extra water changes this week.

It will be planted. Have not decided what will go in it, I will take what I can from other tanks.

I have a life glo bulb T-8 bulb and I will be using a sponge filter, which I did not get yet.

Here is a pic so far. THe water is so cloudy, and I need to remove a little sand. I hope the table it is on is OK. It is an Ikea table. It in not solid wood, but it is way stronger than particle board. Everything is level, and I have even sat on the desk before and did not feel any bowing under me.

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_1227.jpg

Christople 07-12-2011 07:34 PM

very nice

bigehugedome 07-12-2011 11:04 PM

Well, after two water changes it is still kinda cloudy. I will continue the changes until it is clean.

I put in the Life Glo bulb, added some pennywort, a sword I hope will grow, and a crypt. Can anyone tell what kind of crypt it is?It is very large and I don't know how to trim it, or split it, and i need to know how large it may get because if it gets alot bigger I may put in in my 29gal and add a wendtii red to the 10. I also dosed with flourish.

I will be getting a sponge filter, hopefully tomorrow.Can anyone suggest an air pump. I was looking at the tetra ones. I don't know if I need to get the pump rated for 20gal or 10. I need it to be quiet but sufficient.

Will pond snails burrow in sand? Is it bad that I added a few if I plan on getting MTS? Will MTS do ok in soft to slightly hard water?

I have to figure out what other plants I can add and what rock/ driftwood I want. I have some java fern and more pennywort to add once the water is cleaner.

Oh and it looks like I will be moving more towards the community tank rather than the puffers.

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/...e/7ba44787.jpg

Christople 07-12-2011 11:15 PM

Sounds good, MTS do fine in your water if you have what you asked and pond snails don't burrow. Also don't bury the rhizome of the jave fern

Byron 07-13-2011 11:19 AM

Christople answered on the snails and I agree. On the air pump, the Hagen Elite is the one I have, my old one was not bad for noise, the new one (had to get a larger one to run 3 tank sponge filters) is anything but quiet, but in my fishroom I don't care. You might want to look at the Whisper pumps which supposedly are quiet. Perhaps someone who has one can tell us.

Size of air pump is determined by the number of airstones it will run. Elite uses this method, I got one that would run 4 airstones and with 3 sponge filters I have very good air flow. For a single sponge filter you will probably manage with the smallest.

An air pump should run at full capacity; I have read this will prolong its life. With only one sponge filter, if you adjust it that means the pump will not run full out, so i wold get a dual valve. You can set the one valve to run the filter, and the other can have a 2-3 inch piece of tubing with a airstone on it--you need some restriction on the air or it will take the easiest route and bypass the filter valve.

Byron.

bigehugedome 07-13-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 734009)

Size of air pump is determined by the number of airstones it will run. Elite uses this method, I got one that would run 4 airstones and with 3 sponge filters I have very good air flow. For a single sponge filter you will probably manage with the smallest.

An air pump should run at full capacity; I have read this will prolong its life. With only one sponge filter, if you adjust it that means the pump will not run full out, so i wold get a dual valve. You can set the one valve to run the filter, and the other can have a 2-3 inch piece of tubing with a airstone on it--you need some restriction on the air or it will take the easiest route and bypass the filter valve.

Byron.

I think I'm going to get a 10 gallon tetra whisper as it is the smallest and very very cheap. I read if you put it on carpet to eliminate the vibrations there is almost no noise. However it only has one outlet. So can I take a t valve and do as you say.....one into the tank, controlled by how much air I need, and the other side to an air stone just sitting outside the tank? Do i need an air stone for my sponge filter? or does it depend on a filter?

Byron 07-13-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigehugedome (Post 734097)
I think I'm going to get a 10 gallon tetra whisper as it is the smallest and very very cheap. I read if you put it on carpet to eliminate the vibrations there is almost no noise. However it only has one outlet. So can I take a t valve and do as you say.....one into the tank, controlled by how much air I need, and the other side to an air stone just sitting outside the tank? Do i need an air stone for my sponge filter? or does it depend on a filter?

One outlet from the pump is all you want; use a valve. The line to the sponge filoter connects directly to the air tube on the filter, no airstone. The "bleeder" airstone can sit beside the pump and valve. If you have an old airstone, fine, or buy one, they are inexpensive.

bigehugedome 07-13-2011 12:53 PM

Great thanks. Yes I have not used an air pump since I was very young. Oh the days of treasure chests that open and close with bubbles.....
Posted via Mobile Device

bigehugedome 07-13-2011 09:52 PM

Pretty mad because I went to the LFS to get the pump and filter and forgot to look at the wood and rocks for the tank :/ So it looks like I wont have any new updates untill the weekend.

I set up the filter, but the media is in my 29 gallons canister. I will take it out tomorrow and put it in the 10gal when I change the filter media in my canister. I am also using sechem stability.

I have been neglecting my 5 gallon plants so in the process of cleaning it tonight I moved a piece of wood and java fern to the 10. some of the java fern is black and has holes, could this be because the roots actually grew down the wood and into the substrate?

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/...e/424f6b31.jpg

Byron 07-14-2011 10:17 AM

Can you post a pic of the Java Fern?