Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Oscar Setup (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/oscar-setup-74789/)

mott1657 07-10-2011 03:17 PM

Oscar Setup

Hi All

I am in the process of setting up a new tank fo rtwo Oscars , which will be young fish (2-3")

I've been doing a bit of Googling & now have more questions than answers,so here we go :

Growth Rate

Food

Yes the all important tank size ( currently got 30 gallon for 2 x 2" Oscars, aware that will be upgrading soon)

Tank " Mates" ie Cat , Plec , any advice on types,compatible growth rate.

Ph ,Nitrates???

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Ian...

rrcoolj 07-10-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mott1657 (Post 729918)
Hi All

I am in the process of setting up a new tank fo rtwo Oscars , which will be young fish (2-3")

I've been doing a bit of Googling & now have more questions than answers,so here we go :

Growth Rate

Oscars will grow at about 1in per month until they are about 10in then will slow down. They will reach their full size at about 12-14in in 2 years time

Food

A varied diet is good but stick to a solid pellet food. I recommend NLS(New Life Spectrum). That's what I use. People also have success with hikari cichlid gold. In addition to that you should supplement several times a week with freeze dried/frozen foods such as krill, brine shrimp, and bloodworms. Insects are also good. I HIGHLY recommend AGAINST feeding live feeder fish. Live feeder fish from a petstore are crawling with parasites and extremely unhealthy. Plus fish can get addicted to them and not want to eat anything else.

Yes the all important tank size ( currently got 30 gallon for 2 x 2" Oscars, aware that will be upgrading soon)

I hope you plan on upgrading in the next few months because in 2 months time they will easily be 4in and at 4 months they should be 6in. By that time you may very well run into aggression problems. Get a bigger tank ASAP.

Tank " Mates" ie Cat , Plec , any advice on types,compatible growth rate.

I cannot recommend a tankmate until I know what size tank you plan on putting them in. Just know any tankmate that can be housed with an oscar usually has to be large and therefore might require extra room. Depending on the size tank you plan on upgrading too you might not have any room for tankmates.

Ph ,Nitrates???

Nitrates are very important when it comes to oscars. You must keep their water clean to prevent disease and they emit a huge bioload. For growing oscars you especially need to keep your nitrates as low as possible. Because your tank is small you will have to be on your toes with those water changes.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Ian...

GL with your fish. Oscars are awesome when taken care of properly. Pictures would be awesome if you have them.

Byron 07-11-2011 01:41 PM

Previous post has expertly answered your questions. I will only add about tank size, a single oscar needs (eventually but not that far off) at minimum a 75g (4-foot) tank, two will need more. So if that is possible within a year, fine; otherwise, I wouldn't.

lorax84 07-11-2011 03:55 PM

Having kept two Oscars before I would not suggest it in anything other tan a 100-125 gallon tank. I inherited my brothers two Oscars when my mom got sick of him not cleaning the tank, he had them in a 55 and I ended up giving them away after realizing the fish were not suited for the tank. I wont go into all the ins and outs of dealing with them, but they used to bang around the tank chasing each other all of the time to the point where one fish was chased right through the hood and out onto the floor. They can be very territorial and will rip each other up if confined to to small a space.

mott1657 07-12-2011 07:23 AM

Many thanks for your replies ..seems like I need to re address the tank size I have .

Time to go shopping I think