Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Red Eye Tetra mix well with Neon Tetra's and catfish ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/red-eye-tetra-mix-well-neon-7478/)

jaspreetsl 08-11-2007 03:44 PM

Red Eye Tetra mix well with Neon Tetra's and catfish ?

Hey guys, i just got my first aquarium like last week. All my fish are doing well. All 3 red eye tetra's live in a 5.5 gallon tank. They look great. I was thinking of adding a few more fish and i was wondering if adding perhaps 5-6 neon tetras and 1 catfish would be okay ?

fish_4_all 08-11-2007 04:31 PM

Well the tank has yet to cycle so it likely not a good idea to add fish yet.
How big is the tank? A catfish would be in deep trouble to put in the tnak right now as it hasn't cycled and ammonia is really bad for them as well as nitrites.

Take a look at THIS and hopefully it will help you keep the fish you have in good health until the cycle is done.

jaspreetsl 08-11-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
Well the tank has yet to cycle so it likely not a good idea to add fish yet.
How big is the tank? A catfish would be in deep trouble to put in the tnak right now as it hasn't cycled and ammonia is really bad for them as well as nitrites.

Take a look at THIS and hopefully it will help you keep the fish you have in good health until the cycle is done.

Oh, well some stuff i read on the web is that after 1 week its usually fine to add more fish. I also used this type product that helps speed the cycle. Maybe i can add 1 or 2 more fish ? instead of adding like 5-6, because i'm really anxious to add more fish.

Also.. is it true that Red Eye Tetra's and Neon Tetra's don't mix well ?

Lupin 08-11-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaspreetsl
Maybe i can add 1 or 2 more fish ? instead of adding like 5-6, because i'm really anxious to add more fish.

Welcome to Fishforum.com.:wave:

Don't add any more fish until you finish cycling.

Quote:

Only if the tank is too small to allow both of these species to swim around. A 5.5 gallons is too small for more fish.

jaspreetsl 08-11-2007 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Quote:

Maybe i can add 1 or 2 more fish ? instead of adding like 5-6, because i'm really anxious to add more fish.

Welcome to Fishforum.com.:wave:

Don't add any more fish until you finish cycling.

Quote:

Only if the tank is too small to allow both of these species to swim around. A 5.5 gallons is too small for more fish.

So its already 1 week passed, i'm guessing i wait 2 more weeks ? So after how many more Red Eye Tetra's should i add to addition to my current 3 red eye ? Because my 3 red eye are acting bully'ish.

Lupin 08-11-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

So its already 1 week passed, i'm guessing i wait 2 more weeks ?

You have to wait until cycling finish. The time cycling finishes will vary. No specific date is imprinted for cycling tanks.
Quote:

So after how many more Red Eye Tetra's should i add to addition to my current 3 red eye ? Because my 3 red eye are acting bully'ish.
You cannot add any more fish to a 5.5 gallons. These are schooling fish and will appreciate plenty of swimming space which a 5.5 gallons cannot provide. Unless you can upgrade to a 20, then you can't.

jaspreetsl 08-11-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Quote:

So its already 1 week passed, i'm guessing i wait 2 more weeks ?

You have to wait until cycling finish. The time cycling finishes will vary. No specific date is imprinted for cycling tanks.
Quote:

So after how many more Red Eye Tetra's should i add to addition to my current 3 red eye ? Because my 3 red eye are acting bully'ish.
You cannot add any more fish to a 5.5 gallons. These are schooling fish and will appreciate plenty of swimming space which a 5.5 gallons cannot provide. Unless you can upgrade to a 20, then you can't.

alright, thanks. Its just been 1 week with my new fish aquarium and i want to upgrade already, lol. I guess its just the fascination with the cool different fish species out there. I think i might add perhaps a 20-50 gallon tank this fall.