Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Fin/Tail Rot need advice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/fin-tail-rot-need-advice-74778/)

GwenInNM 07-10-2011 10:27 AM

Fin/Tail Rot need advice
 

Okay, I posted a thread on this, but haven't gotten replies yet.

All the Cardinal Tetras that I just bought are already dead. It looks like it was Tail/fin rot. From the minute I put them in the tank, they all died very quickly, each with the same symptoms.

I did a 50% WC, as I do have one Bristlenose Pleco in the tank. My parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. My tank has cycled 6 months ago and is healthy, planted tank with sand substrate, and a 70 aquaclear HOB filter.

My question is should I treat the tank to prevent the BP Pleco from possibly getting this horrible disease, or not? How long would I have to wait to be sure if I add fish they won't get this? Does it live in the water now? These fish obviously brought this into the tank, as I saw one exhibiting strange swimming and problems with the back tail, the minute I put him in the tank. I didn't observe these fish well enough before I put them in the tank. They had just arrived that morning to Petsmart after being shipped, I assume for California.

Thanks for help.

Gwen

Romad 07-10-2011 11:09 AM

Sorry to hear about your tetras :( I hope you can get your money back from the store. That's just not right and I don't understand why they don't keep their fish under observation before selling them to the public. Grrrr!!

If it were me, I'd put the pleco. in some temporary housing with super clean water and keep a close eye on him(would not put him into any of your established tanks) and give the diseaded tank a thorough cleaning. You can always kick start the cycle again with some filter medium from one of your healthy tanks.

What puzzles me is your nitrAte reading. If the tank has been established this long, you should have some nitrates in there even though they'd be low because of the plants. I could be wrong but someone can correct me if I am.

Good luck.

GwenInNM 07-10-2011 02:31 PM

I do usually have a little nitrates, but because I'm trying to lower ph with RO water, I've been doing wc every other day, & beside the 30 hrs i had the tetras, the BN pleco has been the only fish, therefore little waste: ) thanks for feedback
Gwen
Posted via Mobile Device

Romad 07-10-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 729942)
I do usually have a little nitrates, but because I'm trying to lower ph with RO water, I've been doing wc every other day, & beside the 30 hrs i had the tetras, the BN pleco has been the only fish, therefore little waste: ) thanks for feedback
Gwen
Posted via Mobile Device


Good for you then!! :thumbsup:

1077 07-10-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 729753)
Okay, I posted a thread on this, but haven't gotten replies yet.

All the Cardinal Tetras that I just bought are already dead. It looks like it was Tail/fin rot. From the minute I put them in the tank, they all died very quickly, each with the same symptoms.

I did a 50% WC, as I do have one Bristlenose Pleco in the tank. My parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. My tank has cycled 6 months ago and is healthy, planted tank with sand substrate, and a 70 aquaclear HOB filter.

My question is should I treat the tank to prevent the BP Pleco from possibly getting this horrible disease, or not? How long would I have to wait to be sure if I add fish they won't get this? Does it live in the water now? These fish obviously brought this into the tank, as I saw one exhibiting strange swimming and problems with the back tail, the minute I put him in the tank. I didn't observe these fish well enough before I put them in the tank. They had just arrived that morning to Petsmart after being shipped, I assume for California.

Thanks for help.

Gwen

Wondering if fishes may have had trouble with acclimation from shipping water, to stores water, and then your water in relatively short period of time.
Might consider slow drip acclimation for future attempt's and maybe this would help.

cro117 07-12-2011 08:48 PM

firstly a slow drip is always a good idea, especially with fish like cardinals, but cardinals do go through a great deal of stress, well most fish do, during the retail process and usually the damage is already done.

fin rot is a bacteria and relatively short lived i believe, i am in no was an expert on it. anyway, i dont believe your pleco to be in any particular harm as long as hes healthy and happy right now but i would defiantly keep an eye on him. my prefered method of treating this and most bacterial infections, not all, is melafix. melafix is a very subtle medication. a lot of the time it doesnt do too much, but it almost never causes harm, even to your biological filter. you have to get pretty carried away with it to actually crash your bacteria.

my suggestion is to grab some melafix, you can do a few treatments now if you want to be sure, or you can just keep it on hand in case you run into a problem with the next fish you purchase. if you really want to be extra cautious you can give your fish a melafix dip of 2x-4x regular dosage in a bucket before introducing them into your tank, but that might be getting a little too cautious.

GwenInNM 07-13-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cro117 (Post 733401)
firstly a slow drip is always a good idea, especially with fish like cardinals, but cardinals do go through a great deal of stress, well most fish do, during the retail process and usually the damage is already done.

fin rot is a bacteria and relatively short lived i believe, i am in no was an expert on it. anyway, i dont believe your pleco to be in any particular harm as long as hes healthy and happy right now but i would defiantly keep an eye on him. my prefered method of treating this and most bacterial infections, not all, is melafix. melafix is a very subtle medication. a lot of the time it doesnt do too much, but it almost never causes harm, even to your biological filter. you have to get pretty carried away with it to actually crash your bacteria.

my suggestion is to grab some melafix, you can do a few treatments now if you want to be sure, or you can just keep it on hand in case you run into a problem with the next fish you purchase. if you really want to be extra cautious you can give your fish a melafix dip of 2x-4x regular dosage in a bucket before introducing them into your tank, but that might be getting a little too cautious.


Thank you! That does give me some peace of mind. I'm keeping my eye on the Pleco and he is doing fine, so that is good. I still haven't added any new fish, and probably won't till next week, so things should be okay.

Gwen

cro117 07-13-2011 11:30 AM

do pick up some melafix though. maybe it's not the most affective stuff out there, but it does work pretty well, and is very gentile.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2