Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Filter for 15g goldfish tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/filter-15g-goldfish-tank-74705/)

sunny21 07-09-2011 02:10 PM

Filter for 15g goldfish tank

What filter should i use in my 15 gallon goldfish ?

I already have an internal power filter. With that what should i use?

undergravel or sponge ?

please advice :)

MadeInHell 07-10-2011 10:45 AM

erm goldfish don't need a filter really, use which ever looks best in the tank :P lol

Byron 07-10-2011 12:23 PM

I must disagree here. All fish need some type of filtration in the water. It can be plants alone, or filter equipment. Maintaining goldfish in a bowl like we used to when we were young is not adequate. The fact that the goldfish which can live decades didn't live more than a couple years is proof of this.

I also think a 15g is too small for goldfish. They will need more space soon. Those with more experience with goldfish than I have can offer some suggestions if they see this thread.

Byron.

HMlairy 07-10-2011 01:58 PM

Undergravel would be good because they produce huge amounts of waste that can get stuck in the gravel and pollute the water

PaperclipGirl 07-15-2011 01:41 PM

15g is way too small for any goldfish - the rule of thumb is really 20g per fish and +10g for additional. Its more if they are common or commets... I am going to assume they are fancy (oranda/ryukin/moor/fantail). And this is just the minimum. Goldfish are really pond fish and so the more water you can give them the better.

Even if they are small fish, depending on the number you have, with that size tank you would be doing daily if not 2x daily water changes. Trust me I learned all this the hard way.

But to answer your original question - yes they will need a filter. I'm a personal fan of HOB filters because they have the power to suck up the waste - but then I don't like any substrate - my goldfish tanks are only barebottom.

sunny21 07-15-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperclipGirl (Post 736898)
15g is way too small for any goldfish - the rule of thumb is really 20g per fish and +10g for additional. Its more if they are common or commets... I am going to assume they are fancy (oranda/ryukin/moor/fantail). And this is just the minimum. Goldfish are really pond fish and so the more water you can give them the better.

Even if they are small fish, depending on the number you have, with that size tank you would be doing daily if not 2x daily water changes. Trust me I learned all this the hard way.

But to answer your original question - yes they will need a filter. I'm a personal fan of HOB filters because they have the power to suck up the waste - but then I don't like any substrate - my goldfish tanks are only barebottom.

i have two 1.5 orandas and 2.5 inch shubunkin in my 15g tank

Daily water changes ?

what is your tank volume and what HOB filter you use?

Also what goldies you hve ? :)

PaperclipGirl 07-20-2011 12:07 AM

I have a black moor and a golden oranda. (I also have 3 common & 1 comet goldfish in an outdoor pond).

Right now they are in a 20g long as my 55g is being used to breed convict cichlids. As soon as I am finished with the cichlids, that is where they will go back to and stay until I can get 125g (I have 5 tanks right now, so I'm a little full).

A 20 gal long is ideal because of the large surface area. I have a Aqueon 55 (for 55-75 gallon tanks) on my tank. Its a HOB, and I really like it. I have added a small bag of ceramic rings inside the tank to help with the bio load. It is also bare bottom, so technically there is more water available as you don't have to subtract for gravel and decor.

As for water changes - right now I do 10% changes on wednesday and saturday. I keep a liquid testing kit and test the water regularly. It the ammonia gets over .5 - I do another water change.

Your small fish may be fine for a while, but soon they wont be.

I started with 4 fish in a 14.5 g tank. And it wasn't long before I had a case of pop-eye, frayed fins, and a host of other problems. It forced me to do a lot of research and I still consider myself a beginner.

HMlairy 07-20-2011 08:49 AM

I find much of Goldfish tank sizing is exaggerated, I kept 2 goldfish in a 22g successfully with regular maitanence.

PaperclipGirl 07-20-2011 02:45 PM

I was just trying to be helpful - shutting up now... :)