Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   oscars (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/oscars-74530/)

peterman 07-07-2011 01:20 PM

oscars

hi i have a 55 gallon tank and was thinkin about getting a pair of oscars and i have looked at them around the stores and there seems to be three kinds. the red, tiger, and albino oscars. i was wondering which one of these would be the better option if it even matters at all. these are the only fish i was planning on keeping in the tank with a pleco maybe. i know they grow to be big fast but i will have a solution when that problem arrives.

Christople 07-07-2011 01:50 PM

One oscar would be a tight fit and what would that solution be

rrcoolj 07-07-2011 05:08 PM

One oscar won't even fit in that tank it is too narrow let alone a pair.75 gallon minimum for one oscar and 120 gallons minimum for two. Oscars don't pair easy. You will not only need a big tank(think 125-180), but you will also need to buy 6 juveniles and they might not pair until they are over a year old. Oscars emit a huge bioload and need LOTS of filteration and a heavy water change schedule. Next to goldfish, oscars are probably one of the most abused fish in the hobby because people don't give them the space and water quality they need. It is very easy for them to get hole in the head disease.

fryup 07-08-2011 03:51 AM

agreed, and until you see a full grown one u carnt just how big they really are, they get huge !!! :):):)

Christople 07-08-2011 11:16 AM

the mentioned a solution... what is it.

peterman 07-09-2011 03:48 PM

bigger tank was my solution in time when it was needed but my question still was answered i just got info i already knew about.

peterman 07-09-2011 03:49 PM

wasnt*

rrcoolj 07-09-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterman (Post 729024)
bigger tank was my solution in time when it was needed but my question still was answered i just got info i already knew about.

You already knew the tank would not support a pair of oscars then why get them? No it would not matter what color phase you get they are all the same species. What kind of pleco would you get? Those are 3 big fish with a hefty bioload assuming you are getting a larger growing pleco which are the only types that can be kept with oscars and again you will need a large tank. 2 oscars are not guaranteed to be compatible and one may very likely kill the other. My suggestion... don't get the oscars till you have a bigger tank and the filteration to match. These guys grow super fast and get big. They need their room. Plus it will make life easier. You are going to need a tank in the 120-150 gallon range especially if you plan on getting a large pleco.

MadeInHell 07-10-2011 10:43 AM

just go for whatever colour you think will be best :)
i've had all of them, and they all look beautiful at all sizes, i currently have a pair of albino's which i LOVE!!!

mott1657 07-10-2011 02:42 PM

Hi All

I am in the process of setting up a tank for two Oscars.Going to get them young approx 2 " , any advice?

Currently have a 30 Gallon set up fot this & yes I know I will have to upgrade this.

I know they grow quick, but how quick is quick . How long does it take for a 2" Oscar to become 12" ?

Also want to have a Plec & maybe a Cat , any advice on type ?

Thanks

Ian..