Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   others thoughts about a Fluval 305 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/others-thoughts-about-fluval-305-a-74482/)

GwenInNM 07-06-2011 10:16 PM

others thoughts about a Fluval 305

This deal seems to good to pass up. I found a Fluval 305 for sale for $30 and I'm thinking I'll buy it. It's used, but still in good shape and not old. My tank is 45 gal, and I currently have the HOB aquaclear 70 on it. I like the Aquaclear, but think something not visable would be great. I'm I just wasting $30? I'm thinking I could put the aquaclear 70 on my 25 gal (which has an aquaclear 30) Maybe that would be too much water movement for the fish in the smaller tank?

Any thoughts about getting a canister filter from someone who's had one, would be appreciated!!

Thanks

gwen

Barbman 07-06-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 726221)
This deal seems to good to pass up. I found a Fluval 305 for sale for $30 and I'm thinking I'll buy it. It's used, but still in good shape and not old. My tank is 45 gal, and I currently have the HOB aquaclear 70 on it. I like the Aquaclear, but think something not visable would be great. I'm I just wasting $30? I'm thinking I could put the aquaclear 70 on my 25 gal (which has an aquaclear 30) Maybe that would be too much water movement for the fish in the smaller tank?

Any thoughts about getting a canister filter from someone who's had one, would be appreciated!!

Thanks

gwen

WOW that is a great deal if it's in good working condition. The Fluval 05's are great filters IMO, I would def buy it ... again as long as it's working or just needs a few small parts ... it's a great deal!

I have a fluval 404 and love the job it does on my 75gal. A 305 on your tank is more than enough filtration.

Byron 07-07-2011 06:53 PM

That is a good deal. As Barb implied, one never knows what "state" it might be in of course, but even if it only lasts a few months, still a deal. One thing though, you might need to get new media. The ceramic disks last forever, so that's fine. The pads though might be worn out.

When it comes to canisters, three makes are comparable in how they operate. Eheim, Rena and Fluval. All product reviews and such that I have read rate them as I've listed them, Eheim best, Rena second, Fluval third. Prices new follow this rating. I went into this two years ago when I decided on a new filter for my 115g.

Byron.

GwenInNM 07-07-2011 07:18 PM

Yes, I bought it! The guy was very nice to go over all of it with me. He did not save the media, and I wouldn't want it anyways. I just have to buy the hoses, which are only a few bucks. It looks in great shape. They only used it less than one year, and at the pet store now, they are $159.00. It has the DVD and manual and even the box it came in.

So, can either of you tell me if it would just be too much for Cardinal Tetras and two German Rams in a 25 gal if I moved by Aquaclear 70 over to that tank, once I set up the Fluval canister in the larger tank? Currently on the 25 gal I have an Aquaclear 30. Just figuring the more filtration the better. Still don't have my German Blue rams, but will get them as soon as my ph is a bit lower.

Gwen

Byron 07-07-2011 07:37 PM

First, more filtration is not always better, and often is detrimental. If the tank is overstocked or the fish are heavy on the bioload and no plants, etc., "more" filtration may be useful. But in a balanced system, and as you have plants, filtration should be minimal; some would say non-existant [by filtration I mean added equipment, not true "filtration" which of course occurs via the plants and bacteria].

I would not put a larger filter on the 25g.

Byron.

Barbman 07-08-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 727352)
First, more filtration is not always better, and often is detrimental. If the tank is overstocked or the fish are heavy on the bioload and no plants, etc., "more" filtration may be useful. But in a balanced system, and as you have plants, filtration should be minimal; some would say non-existant [by filtration I mean added equipment, not true "filtration" which of course occurs via the plants and bacteria].

I would not put a larger filter on the 25g.

Byron.

I have to agree with Byron that at some point, your just adding extra gear but not really doing much more filtration, however there are those who say an Aquarium should have GPH filtration 10x the tank volume.
Filtration's a subject with many opinions.

I suppose you could move the AQ 70 to the 25gal and then use the AQ 30 to help seed the Fluval. Personally, if the 25 is cycled and has a balanced system, use the AQ70 to seed the Fluval and keep it as a backup.

Petco is having the $1.00 per gallon sale:-D .. an AQ70 should handle a 40gal Breeder no problem;-).

Whatever your decision ... you have one of those good problems ... it's like a major league baseball team with too many good pitchers .. better than not having enough.

GwenInNM 07-08-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbman (Post 727839)
I have to agree with Byron that at some point, your just adding extra gear but not really doing much more filtration, however there are those who say an Aquarium should have GPH filtration 10x the tank volume.
Filtration's a subject with many opinions.

I suppose you could move the AQ 70 to the 25gal and then use the AQ 30 to help seed the Fluval. Personally, if the 25 is cycled and has a balanced system, use the AQ70 to seed the Fluval and keep it as a backup.

Petco is having the $1.00 per gallon sale:-D .. an AQ70 should handle a 40gal Breeder no problem;-).

Whatever your decision ... you have one of those good problems ... it's like a major league baseball team with too many good pitchers .. better than not having enough.

LOL - don't tempt me to buy another tank! I'm sure one day I will. Even my husband teases me, that he knows it's inevitable that I'll get another one. I did decide to just leave my 25 gal with the filter it has, it does a great job and my parameters are always good. I'll store the aquaclear 70 for another tank. If I decide to breed by German Blue Rams, I guess I would need a seperate tank, because the temps would have to go up to 84 and I'm not sure the plants will like that temp. But that is no time in the near future. Have to see if I can properly care for a "difficult" fish first.

Gwen