Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Will plants grow in pea size gravel? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/will-plants-grow-pea-size-gravel-74433/)

Boredomb 07-06-2011 12:10 PM

Will plants grow in pea size gravel?

5 Attachment(s)
I have read somewhere that plants would be okay with this size gravel. I was wondering if this was true. I wanted to switch my 29 gallon substrate from sand to gravel. The only size gravel that I could get from my local nusery was pea gravel. The sand was getting very messy and I just wasn't liking the way it was looking in that tank so I took it out and replaced it with pea gravel. I added flourish substrate root tabs under every plant. Also I have a Zoo med Utra Sun Super Daylight bulb. As I couldn't find any T8 24" bulbs at lowes to use. So that was about my only choice i had for a "daylight" bulb. Will that work okay? It is a 17 watt bulb that says it is 6500k. Do I need more lighting or will that one bulb be enough? Here are some pics of how the tank looks? Also i know the Java fern is too close to the light. I am planning on moving it today. I stuck it up there the other day when I add that peice of diftwood. I plan on moving it down where the rock is sitting on the wood. Thanks for any suggustions and advice in advance!

SinCrisis 07-06-2011 01:57 PM

They should be fine. Although its harder for plants to root into larger gravel grains, they should be ok once established.

Byron 07-07-2011 05:48 PM

Agree. I had pea gravel in one tank, and I thought the plants were not doing as well, but it may have been a combination of things and not just the gravel. Others have planted tanks with pea gravel.

The light is fine for the spectrum. It appears bright in the photos, but that can be deceiving. What size tank is this?

Boredomb 07-07-2011 07:11 PM

It is a 29 gallon tall

Byron 07-07-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 727328)
It is a 29 gallon tall

That means a 30-inch length, presumably, like my 29g. That light is fine.

Boredomb 07-07-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 727346)
That means a 30-inch length, presumably, like my 29g. That light is fine.

Okay Thanks Byron for you input on the lighting. I originally had 2 lights on the tank and thought this was too much and for the last couple of weeks just had one. Earlier this week I got that light bulb as the other one was the bulb that came with the fixture.

Mauve 07-11-2011 06:55 AM

Yes, those sized plants should be okay. If you choose to use smaller plants, the roots may have trouble digging in and staying in place.