Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   10 Gallon stock ideas (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/10-gallon-stock-ideas-74412/)

bigehugedome 07-06-2011 12:50 AM

10 Gallon stock ideas

Hey Guys,

So i need another tank like I need a hole in my head (I guess we have all been here), but I may get back my old 10 gallon from a friend I gave it to about 3 years ago. As far as I know he used it for a saltwater nano reef before he eventually moved to something bigger, then traded his stuff to a few other friends. I realized I have a spot on my desk occupied by a TV I do not us. I may let my friend borrow this TV, and a 10 gallon would fit perfectly.

I’m figuring I can salvage some plants from my other tanks, I have a HOB filter (he should be giving me everything but a stand) and I’ll just buy some driftwood/rocks. I’m also thinking of trying play sand as a substrate since it is cheap. So I have a few questions.

I’m not a fan of guppies/molly’s/swordtails etc. (I don't hate them, I just dont love them) But my gf is, and I may let this be "her tank" and she can pick out the fish. Issue is my pH is ~6.8-7 (water is 7-8 dgh-i think its dgh, right?) and I do not want new fish. I don’t mind them doing their thing but I don’t want fry making it. I don’t have time to rehome fish.

Will I be able to have these types of fish in my tank?

Will they even have baby’s in such a low pH?

Is it mean if fry do make it, and i fed them to the guys in the 30gal, or my betta? Is that healthy?

If those types of fish do not work, can someone give me other ideas? I do not want another betta. I would not mind a single fish or a pair if there is something that would work in a 10 as long as they are colorful. I donno if there is any dwarf cichlids that would work here.

Could I get away with two dwarf puffers in there? Or maybe I can move my betta to the 10 and try corys again (he was mean last time, but they will have more room/hiding spots in a bigger tank). and put a single puffer in my 5. Does this need to be brackish?

Thanks in advance. Please feel free to tell me what you would do with this tank. I know some people don't like picking fish for others, but I like everyones ideas.

Byron 07-06-2011 10:08 AM

I would not recommend livebearers unless you harden the water a bit (which will raise pH correspondingly). Livebearers have a physiological need for mineral in the water, and while they may well "manage" in soft water they will not be in their best health. If you do decide to go this route, selecting only males solves the fry problem. A 10g is not much space, but 2-3 livebearers might manage. Not the best scenario though.

Soft water fish are a better option; with the hardness you mention, the pH will naturally lower a bit anyway, so that works well. There are lots of colourful options here. The dwarf rasbora (Boraras genus), Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, etc. In a 10g, depending upon which fish, a group of 7, 9, or more, or groups of 7 of 2 or 3 species, etc. Lots of colour and some activity in a small space.

A 10g is not sufficient for cichlids of any sort, except a pair of Dicrossus (soft water) or shelldwellers (hard water only).

Three dwarf puffer, with lots of plants, thick planting, is another option.

Byron.

bigehugedome 07-06-2011 12:40 PM

Thanks so much,

I like ember tetras, and maybe Pygmy corys. I will check out the dicrossus.

For the puffers. Is 3 better than 2 to spread out the aggression. I'm all for the heavy planting. Should they be added at once or At different times, and do I need to have brackish water at anytime during their lifespan?
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 07-06-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigehugedome (Post 725562)
Thanks so much,

I like ember tetras, and maybe Pygmy corys. I will check out the dicrossus.

For the puffers. Is 3 better than 2 to spread out the aggression. I'm all for the heavy planting. Should they be added at once or At different times, and do I need to have brackish water at anytime during their lifespan?
Posted via Mobile Device

Three DP is better than 2 for the reason you mention. Thick plants will provide "out of sight" conditions that help too. And get them at once, to avoid the first becoming dominant. Last, they are fresh water. We're talking the standard Dwarf Puffer of which i believe there are two very similar species, Carinotetraodon travancoricus and Carinotetraodon imitator.

bigehugedome 07-06-2011 04:47 PM

Is playsand a bad idea for the puffers since they are messy, and eat snails like MTS?

How many Scarlet Badis would work? Do you say Badis like Bad-is? A group of males and females may look better than ember tetra. I could do them and pygmy corys.

bigehugedome 07-06-2011 11:53 PM

Another question, is a 10 to small for a betta sorority? I have seen conflicting info on the internet where 10is the smallest and some say 20. Obviously bigger the better but I only have a 10 :-P. If so how many, and I know it will need to have alot of plants and caves

Boredomb 07-07-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigehugedome (Post 725837)
Is playsand a bad idea for the puffers since they are messy, and eat snails like MTS?

I had playsand in my dwarf puffer tank and it was fine. It did get a little messy though. I didn't like the look of it after while and changed it over to gravel. Yes they eat snails like MTS (though I have never feed mine those), bladder snails, or pond snails will work. I have always feed mine bladder snails which is what I have the most of. They also eat frozen bloodworms after I got them switched over to them from live blackworms (which wasn't easy).

Also if you go that route make sure to get 1 male and 2 females and there will be less aggression. More then one male in that size of a tank might be a problem.

Christople 07-07-2011 12:20 AM

Badis as in the fish badis badis... It is a very nice fish.

Byron 07-07-2011 09:56 AM

I was thinking Dario dario, the Scarlet Badis. A group of 7 in a 10g, make sure they are male and female, better interaction. Will spawn easily too.

Sand is fine with DP. And yes, they are very good at eating any snails. I have hundreds of Malaysian |Livebearing snails, and in the 10g with one DP they disappeared within a week. Only those deep in the substrate survived, so they kept reproducing a bit for the DP.

Christople 07-07-2011 11:55 AM

Oh okay, I personally would go for the puffer and just snails in there from your other tank or buy some put it in your other tank and then if they dissapear just take some from the other tank.