Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Ghost Shrimp dead (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/ghost-shrimp-dead-74381/)

gblaca 07-05-2011 06:18 PM

Ghost Shrimp dead

I bought ghost shrimp at the fish store.

I have 3 betta aquariums and 3 others with just plants.
I put one ghost shrimp in each of the aquariums.
Each aquarium has its own internal filter.
All 6 died about the same time.

Then I bought 2 other much smaller ghost shrimp from a different store. Those 2 died but separately.

The only thing I had in the aquariums besides cycled water is black gravel and a plant tablet underneat the soil for plant fertilizer.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep ghost shrimp and why mine might have died?

GwenInNM 07-05-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblaca (Post 724765)
I bought ghost shrimp at the fish store.

I have 3 betta aquariums and 3 others with just plants.
I put one ghost shrimp in each of the aquariums.
Each aquarium has its own internal filter.
All 6 died about the same time.

Then I bought 2 other much smaller ghost shrimp from a different store. Those 2 died but separately.

The only thing I had in the aquariums besides cycled water is black gravel and a plant tablet underneat the soil for plant fertilizer.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep ghost shrimp and why mine might have died?

I really don't know, except to say shrimp will die if they are exposed to copper. Is there any of that in the fertilizer?

Gwen

gblaca 07-06-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 724812)
I really don't know, except to say shrimp will die if they are exposed to copper. Is there any of that in the fertilizer?

Gwen

Hi Gwen,

The product I used was

JUNGLE LABORATORIES CORPORATION JUNGLE PLANT CARE SOLUTIONS PLANT FOOD TABS 0-0-6 PLUS IRON
(5.5% Ca, 0.7% Mg, 6.5% S, 0.02% B, 1% Fe, 0.2% Mn, 2% Na, 0.5% Humic Acid)

so you can see it does not contain copper.

Furthermore, I did a 50% water change with conditioned water before I put the Ghost Shrimp in the last tank so the water should have been less concentrated with whatever chemical was in there.

I do not understand why all the ghost shrimp (from 2 different sources) in 6 different tanks died unless my drinking water that I used at home contains copper in it - if copper is the reason.

GwenInNM 07-06-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblaca (Post 725667)
Hi Gwen,

The product I used was

JUNGLE LABORATORIES CORPORATION JUNGLE PLANT CARE SOLUTIONS PLANT FOOD TABS 0-0-6 PLUS IRON

Furthermore, I did a 50% water change with conditioned water before I put the Ghost Shrimp in the last tank so the water should have been less concentrated with whatever chemical was in there.

I do not understand why all the ghost shrimp (from 2 different sources) in 6 different tanks died unless my drinking water that I used at home contains copper in it - if copper is the reason.

It may be nothing you did. Is is possible your fish are killing them? Or, it could just be they recently arrived at the store you got them and were shipped by getting too hot or whatever and died. I lost 2 of my ghost shrimp, and believe it may have been the Gourami I had in the tank, because he was aggressive with everything I put in there - had to move the 3 oto cats I had because he was always chasing them, and though I didn't see him go after the shrimp, that is what I'm thinking happened to them. The others I have in another tank are fine, and they all have the same water parameters. The good thing is they are cheap :-D

InvertPlanet 07-06-2011 06:43 PM

brackish water is needed

GwenInNM 07-06-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvertPlanet (Post 725966)
brackish water is needed

What? I've never heard GS are kept in brackish. I remember hearing from this site that my ghost shrimp would probably survive salt treatment when I had Ich, so I don't think they live for any length of time in salt. IMO :)

Gwen

ashokantony 07-07-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 725989)
What? I've never heard GS are kept in brackish. I remember hearing from this site that my ghost shrimp would probably survive salt treatment when I had Ich, so I don't think they live for any length of time in salt. IMO :)

Gwen

Yeah. Ghost shrimp don't need brakish. What are you water parameters? What is the water temperature? What other fish in the tank?

InvertPlanet 07-15-2011 05:21 PM

ghost shrimp can be kept in FW, but for breeding they need brackish. Brackish is the optimal condition to keep them for the long term.

EDIT: although some are FW only it really depends on the species you are keeping. "Ghost shrimp" does have a wide range and have been inter bread to meet certain conditions. Only the supplier of the shrimp can tell you where they sourced them from and under what conditions they were kept.

gblaca 08-04-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblaca (Post 725667)
Hi Gwen,

The product I used was

I just want to know why the ghost shrimp died in 5 different tanks from 2 different sources. I did not have copper in the water unless it was a trace amount from my house water supply. They did eat some flake food I observed. Other than that I still have no idea, so if anyone can give information that would be helpful on this, I'd appreciate it as to the nature of the original topic: Ghost Shrimp dead

GwenInNM 08-04-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblaca (Post 766342)
I just want to know why the ghost shrimp died in 5 different tanks from 2 different sources. I did not have copper in the water unless it was a trace amount from my house water supply. They did eat some flake food I observed. Other than that I still have no idea, so if anyone can give information that would be helpful on this, I'd appreciate it as to the nature of the original topic: Ghost Shrimp dead

I've had GS disappear, and figured the Gourami in the tank killed it. Sometimes you may not know. It could have been they were shipped in hot weather and you bought them shortly after they arrived, and they were just too stressed to live. I had one of my Dwarf Rainbow fish just up and die, no signs of problems before, no other fish got sick or died. Just happened. Maybe the gs lived his life expectancy. If you're keeping your water clean, conditioning water to get rid of chlorine, and provide a food source, there is not much else you can do. You posted this awhile back. Have you gotten more since than? Have new ones survived?

Gwen