Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Beginner 10 Gallon Tank Stocking Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/beginner-10-gallon-tank-stocking-question-74350/)

Mapboy 07-05-2011 11:59 AM

Beginner 10 Gallon Tank Stocking Question

Hello,
Im fairly new to fish keeping, and i recently bought a 10 gallon aquarium to add to my 1.5 gallon aquarium.
In my new 10 gallon, so far I only have a dwarf powder blue gourami, and two sunburst/red platys. I am thinking about getting a couple more fish, but I am unsure what would be best to add with the current fish.
I was thinking about adding a molly, and maybe 3/4 tetras?
What fish would you recommend as I am new at aquariums this big.

Also, would tiger barbs/albino tiger barbs be a bad idea in this set up?

Thank you for your advice and help in advance

BarbH 07-05-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mapboy (Post 724427)
Hello,
Im fairly new to fish keeping, and i recently bought a 10 gallon aquarium to add to my 1.5 gallon aquarium.
In my new 10 gallon, so far I only have a dwarf powder blue gourami, and two sunburst/red platys. I am thinking about getting a couple more fish, but I am unsure what would be best to add with the current fish.
I was thinking about adding a molly, and maybe 3/4 tetras?
What fish would you recommend as I am new at aquariums this big.

Also, would tiger barbs/albino tiger barbs be a bad idea in this set up?

Thank you for your advice and help in advance

Welcome to TFK :-D If you have not seen it yet at the top of the page on the second tab is a link to the tropical fish profiles, which is a very good source of research for different types of fish and their requirements. On your platys do you have two females or male and female? If you have a male and female I would suggest on adding an additional female so that the male does not harass the one female to death. Tiger barb would not work in a 10 gallon, it is suggested that you have at least 30 gallons for them. I would suggest the idea of a bottom dwelling type of fish, dwarf cory or pygmy cory might work depending on what the hardness and ph of your water is. A bottom dwelling type of fish would help to add interest to you tank. I am sure others will have suggestions also, I would definitly check out the fish profiles, it will help you in deciding what type of fish will work best in your set up.

Byron 07-05-2011 03:24 PM

I concur with Barb.

And welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum. Glad to have you with us.

Byron.

Mapboy 07-05-2011 03:34 PM

Thank you for your help...
Where do most people go about getting their fish?
I think the only fish store around me is a Petsmart where I have purchased my dwarf gourami, two platties, and 2 guppies.

sik80 07-05-2011 03:35 PM

research, research, research is the most important thing before getting new fish. Asking questions here is a great start!

Mapboy 07-05-2011 05:20 PM

Well, one of my platys died while I was away, but the other and the gourami survived.
So now I am thinking about adding 2 female platys, because the one is a male..(the other was a male too)

Would adding another dwarf gourami be a bad idea? What about a red tailed Shark, I really like those, but want to make sure it is ok.

If not I am looking into adding a catfish for the bottom and possibly 3/4 small tetras?

Byron 07-05-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mapboy (Post 724719)
Well, one of my platys died while I was away, but the other and the gourami survived.
So now I am thinking about adding 2 female platys, because the one is a male..(the other was a male too)

Would adding another dwarf gourami be a bad idea? What about a red tailed Shark, I really like those, but want to make sure it is ok.

If not I am looking into adding a catfish for the bottom and possibly 3/4 small tetras?

This is a 10g, and there is no room for sharks. Please read the profile, click on Red Tailed Shark. And two dwarf gourami is too much, also read that profile. No room for tetra if you get platy, as tetra need a group of 6 or more.

BarbH 07-05-2011 10:40 PM

For getting fish, you could check and see if petsmart would be willing to order in a specific type of fish that you want if they do not carry it. Havent tried them myself so not sure although my pet supplies plus and pet provisions will order things in that they don't carry as long as they have means to a supplier on them. You can also check to see if there is any other lfs that may be near enough to drive to even if they are not in your immediate area. There is also the option of buying online, but you will pay a fairly good amount in shipping. Also if you decide that you want to go with the corys you will want to make sure that you go with one of the smaller species, the more popular bronze cory and pepper cory need to have a larger tank. Also corys are a very social fish and it is recommended in keeping them in a grouo of at least 6 or more. Hope this helps :-)