Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Can i add more angels? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/can-i-add-more-angels-74151/)

silver beard 07-03-2011 12:11 AM

Can i add more angels?

Hi this is my first thread and i cant wait to meet everybody! It is a 100 gallon tank filtered with 1 Eheim classic 2217 and 2 aquaclear70s The inhabitants are: 4 angelfish,1 dojo loach,1 farlowella, 11 platies, 1 bolivian ram , 5 sterbia cories,9 head and tail light tetras Thanks In Advance :-D

silver beard 07-03-2011 12:14 AM

I also have 3 silver dollars i forgot to add!

Byron 07-03-2011 11:06 AM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum. Nice to have you with us.

To your question. You certainly have the space, but adding angelfish to an existing community can sometimes be disastrous. It may or may not work, and until you try, that is an unknown. This is explained in our profile of this fish, which you can see under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top, or in posts click on the shaded name to see the profile, example Scalare Angelfish or (scientific) Pterophyllum scalare. [The name must be identical to how it appears in the post, whether scientific or common name used.]

Silver Dollar and angelfish are often combined but in fact that is not a good mix. However, again you have space, so this is a bit better. SD are shoaling fish, requiring a group, and 5-6 would be minimum for a healthy group. However, they eat plants; and plants are something that go well with angelfish, providing the type of security they need.

You seem to have a lot of filtration. The water movement from all that is another concern; these fish come from very quiet, still waters.

Byron.

silver beard 07-03-2011 11:32 AM

Thanks for your reply!!! The silver dollars are perfectly fine with just the 3,i cant find any pictures online that look like them! I have had them for 1 year and they have only attained 3 inches!!! Even with 45% water changes there slow growing. As for the filtration, i have the eheims spraybar pointed upward and i have sponges on the aquaclears to diffuse the flow.So nobody has any problems swimming around;) THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY,Andrew

silver beard 07-03-2011 01:28 PM

I have a bunch of plastic plants arranged in several places.I also have some live anubias and java moss growing on rocks and wood:)

silver beard 07-05-2011 11:01 AM

Since adding another angelfish would be to risky:( Could I get more corys?
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 07-05-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver beard (Post 724376)
Since adding another angelfish would be to risky:( Could I get more corys?
Posted via Mobile Device

More corys would be fine, different species if you are thinking that, with say 5 of each new species although 3-4 will work. Five are suggested by some authorities, and I must say that in my tanks they do well in groups of five when I can get them.

However, I just spotted something I had missed earlier, and that is the Dojo Loach. This fish will attain up to 10 inches and is reported to readily eat small fish, which a cory would presumably be to this loach. Also, the Dojo is strictly speaking cold water, I believe 77F is the absolutel top of its temperature tolerance. It is a social fish that should be in groups, minimum 3. I do not like suggesting others get rid of fish, but I can only look at this from the whole perspective, and if this were my tank I would want to resolve this little issue either by removing the loach or increasing it with two more, which of course impacts on other things in the tank. And lowering the temp to better suit the loaches wuld mean trouble for the other upper fish. In other words, in my opinion, this is not a good match.

Byron.

silver beard 07-05-2011 11:50 AM

I got the loach when it was already an adult and it is a full grown female at 8 inches long and has been alone its whole life and is accustomed to living on its own. It thinks its a cory and is always around at least one of them:) The loach won't eat small fish at all with the exception of fry of course. My aquariums temperature is 78F and it is PERFECTLY healthy and happy. THANK YOU for telling me about the loach though because all you knew I could have been a noob with an unhappy loach:)
Posted via Mobile Device