Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   EMERGENCY!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/emergency-7415/)

fry1goat 08-08-2007 06:46 AM

EMERGENCY!!!

So I think I may have done somthing stupid this morning. Yesterday i purchased some of that stone you put in your filters to lower amonia. It starts with a Z forget what its called. Well the kind i purchased did not have directions. So i did what it said and placed the stones in my filters. This cloudy up my water big time from the dust. Did not know you have to rinse it first. I found this out later when I went online. Are my fish going to die? I had no time to change the water. Had to go to work after I made my horrible mistake. Is there any chance they will still be alive when i return home?

Lupin 08-08-2007 06:48 AM

I would suggest you monitor your water parameters. If your ammonia and nitrites are detected, please do perform a water change to rectify this problem.

fry1goat 08-08-2007 06:50 AM

Do you think the dust from the zionite crystals will kill my fish?

Lupin 08-08-2007 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fry1goat
Do you think the dust from the zionite crystals will kill my fish?

I have not used those zionite crystals and neither am I familiar with them.:? If you don't mind me asking, why did you use the stones if you are not sure of the directions and then why would you use them when water changes are always the better solution to dilute ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

fry1goat 08-08-2007 07:06 AM

I used them because it sounded like a good idea. It did give instructions, but not correct instructions. It said all that needs to be done is to put in filter. I do water changes, but the water changes have been doing more bad than good. My water sucks, and i do not have a reverse osmosis tank yet. I need to get one. If i change my water my ph jumps by around 1.2. Its not pretty changing out the water. I was hoping to better control the nitrates. I know regardless i have to change the water at least 1 time a month

fish_4_all 08-08-2007 01:31 PM

Well if it is Zeolite there was no real reason to use it unless oyu were having a major problem with ammonia. The crystals absorb ammonia and if they remove enough of it your beneficial bacteria won't have enough to feed on and it will die. I would remove it immediately otherwise you could be dependant on it to control your ammonia or have to cycle your tank again.

The only media you should use in your filter should be inert. Biochem stars, ceramic rings, bioballs, and such things have no effect on the chemistry on the tank but do allow for more surface area for beneficial bacteria.

As for your pH changes, I would be trying to figure out why my pH is dropping 1.2 points. I don't know why it would. I keep 2 of my tanks at 7.2 and one of them is almost 8 and I change 50% weekly from tap water that is neutral. The tnak that is at 8 only changes to 7.6 and goes back to 8 in less than 24 hours. The larger concern is what your KH is because if that is too low then a pH swing is more harmful where if your KH is at least 3dKH or 48ppm a pH swing is not as dangerous nor as harmful to the fish.

fry1goat 08-08-2007 02:32 PM

I have a couple of important questions regarding my thread. Will amonia effect the ph level of the tank? I know I have a good amount of fish in this tank. I do not have an amonia test kit yet. What is a good test kit to get to check ammonia and nitrate? I have not been able to test the amount yet without a kit, and yes i know that is bad. I feel so bad for my fish, I should have been more prepared with this larger tank. My PH level will only stay in a good range for about a week, after that it spikes to over 8.2. So will amonia or nitrates push up the PH?

Falina 08-08-2007 02:52 PM

API liquid tests are best IMHO. You can get a master kit which pretty much covers everything or you can buy individual tests for each paremeter. The master kit is pricier but works out cheaper overall.