Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Brown Pygmy Chain Sword and Melon Sword (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/brown-pygmy-chain-sword-melon-sword-74042/)

Andarial 07-01-2011 09:12 PM

Brown Pygmy Chain Sword and Melon Sword

My newly planted ten gallon tank is doing fine with both the anubias and hornwort, and with some plant I don't know the exact ID of. But my Pygmy chain sword and young melon sword leaves are both turning brown at the tips and then slowly spreading downward, and then seem to thin. My lighting is two 6500k, 10 watt bulbs. I am fertilizing twice a week with Seachem's flourish comprehensive liquid fertilizer. The only inhabitants of the tank right now are several pond snails and some ghost shrimp, my puffer is soon to be moved here. My tank has been set up for about, three weeks, there is no CO2.

My Ammonia is at just below 0.25 ppm, no nitrites, and I'm not sure about my nitrates but I can find out if you need it. Should I be trimming the dead and dying leaves from the plants? The snails are eating them. I think that's everything but if I left anything out just ask ^^.

SomeDudeAtHome 07-01-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarial (Post 719712)
My newly planted ten gallon tank is doing fine with both the anubias and hornwort, and with some plant I don't know the exact ID of. But my Pygmy chain sword and young melon sword leaves are both turning brown at the tips and then slowly spreading downward, and then seem to thin. My lighting is two 6500k, 10 watt bulbs. I am fertilizing twice a week with Seachem's flourish comprehensive liquid fertilizer. The only inhabitants of the tank right now are several pond snails and some ghost shrimp, my puffer is soon to be moved here. My tank has been set up for about, three weeks, there is no CO2.

My Ammonia is at just below 0.25 ppm, no nitrites, and I'm not sure about my nitrates but I can find out if you need it. Should I be trimming the dead and dying leaves from the plants? The snails are eating them. I think that's everything but if I left anything out just ask ^^.

Sounds pretty normal to me. If they are fairly new this tends to happen. Most plants are grown emersed so they will grow faster but once put into an aquarium forced to grow submerged the old leaves die and new submerged ones will grow. I'm going through the same thing one of my tanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rip 07-01-2011 11:09 PM

if there are no inhabitants in your tank, then there's not alot of ammonia being produced, which is what your plants need. your lighting sounds fine, and i agree with some dude about the emersed leaves dying off.

Andarial 07-02-2011 12:19 AM

Oh I had no idea about the emersed leaves, I think I read something about it but I didn't quite understand it. That would make sense as not all the leaves have died off yet and they are still producing new ones I think. The Pygmy Chain Sword is also putting out runners so it's happy. I was just wondering why it was turning brown lol. Thanks, should I be removing the dead and dying leaves or should I leave it for the snails to snack on?

Byron 07-02-2011 11:03 AM

I tend to agree with what has been suggested, but to be sure, could you post a photo of one of the plants with the browning leaves? This culd be due to the emersed leaves naturally dying, or it could be a light or nutrient issue.

Byron.

Andarial 07-02-2011 08:01 PM

I'll try to post a picture up tonight, my camera needs to charge first. I don't know how good the picture will be because my camera is really bad at close ups.

Byron 07-02-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarial (Post 720843)
I'll try to post a picture up tonight, my camera needs to charge first. I don't know how good the picture will be because my camera is really bad at close ups.

Don't get too close, just so we can see the plant clearly.:-)

Andarial 07-02-2011 10:00 PM

Here are the best pics I could get, here is the pygmy chain sword:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...A/DSCF0176.jpg

And here is the melon sword:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...A/DSCF0177.jpg

See how the browning is mostly at the tips?

Rip 07-02-2011 10:48 PM

on the melon sword, those leaves are of the emersed form, so they'll die off eventually. i'd go ahead and cut that browning leaf off.

your pygmy chain sword still looks pretty green. but those are also emersed leaf form. but if it's sending out a runner already, you should start to see the submersed looking leaves on the plantlets that will grow along the runner.

Andarial 07-02-2011 10:54 PM

Alright thanks guys ^^ you have been very helpful, all my other plants are very happy and healthy so it should be good for a while