Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Water Chemistry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/)
-   -   nitrite question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/nitrite-question-74019/)

bigrift 07-01-2011 03:34 PM

nitrite question

im cureing 40 pounds of live rock in a 30g tub its been a week and my ammonia is now at 0 nitrite is threw the roof so isnt nitrate whitch is to be expected. my question is should i leave the water as is and let it do its thing till the nitrite drops to 0 or should i do the 100% water change and test again in a few days? btw this is my first time cureing lr so sorry for the stupid questions

Reefing Madness 07-01-2011 08:29 PM

Do a % water change like you would a normal tank.

Caligirl330 07-02-2011 03:23 PM

No question is a dumb question and you are smart for asking it! Just know that in the curing process you are bound to have nitrate or ammonia spikes eventually. I agree with Reef Madness about doing normal water changes and you could also try smelling the rock for a decay fishy smell (which could be the reason for the nitrate spike) and if it smells you could soak the rock in fresh RO/DI water to help rid some of the bacteria or parasites.

reefsahoy 07-02-2011 04:22 PM

It's part of the process. I recommend you wait until the readings are zero before doing the water change otherwise your tank will take longer to cycle. See graph below.
http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/n-cycle.gif

bigrift 07-02-2011 05:28 PM

i dont have the rock in my tank yet its going to be added to my allready exsisting tank thats why i wana make sure i do this right. i know its only been a week and im probuly going to cure it for a few more even if the readings come back ok just to be safe cause the rock was alot cheaper then what i will end up killing in my tank lol. i did a 100% water change after scrubbing the rock down the rock itself smells like rotting fish still so im sure it no where near done yet. i guess what i just really need to know now is if doing the 100% water changes is a waist and should i just let it sit or do partial after the ammonia drops to 0 and let the bacteria handel the nitrit. another question i cant seem to find a answere for is if my tank is going to cycle again after i add this rock the set up im adding it to has been up and running for 8 months now and everything as far as paramiters is where it should be.

Reefing Madness 07-02-2011 07:21 PM

If your curing the Live Rock now, outside the tank in another container, then no, the tank will not go through another cycle once you add it.

bigrift 07-03-2011 09:13 AM

ok good that was one of my worries lol

Caligirl330 07-07-2011 01:23 PM

I also want to mention that it might be a good idea to only add about 1 lb per 10% of the volume of the main tank..For example in case that makes no sense by my wording lol. IF your tank is only 50 gallons adding about 5 lbs of LR every couple of weeks is a pretty safe practice. That way if there are still nitrates on the rock it won't effect the water quality as much. Also before you add it, if you just let the rock sit without doing water changes it should be fine, just make sure to top off the water with RO/DI I hope that helps :-)

bigrift 07-08-2011 07:49 PM

hmmm thats a good idea. its been 2 full weeks now of cureing my ammonia is still 0 nitrite is at 5.0ppm and my nitrate is 0 whitch kinda shocked me i figured my nitrate would be very very high due to the nitrite conversion. another thing is out of all the rocks i have 2 of them smell horrible like rotting fish still everything else dosnt smell bad at all. i went all over the 2 rocks looking for anything spongy or decaying i may have missed. if the parameters say 0,0,0 and it still smells bad is it safe to add to the tank?

Reefing Madness 07-09-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigrift (Post 728365)
hmmm thats a good idea. its been 2 full weeks now of cureing my ammonia is still 0 nitrite is at 5.0ppm and my nitrate is 0 whitch kinda shocked me i figured my nitrate would be very very high due to the nitrite conversion. another thing is out of all the rocks i have 2 of them smell horrible like rotting fish still everything else dosnt smell bad at all. i went all over the 2 rocks looking for anything spongy or decaying i may have missed. if the parameters say 0,0,0 and it still smells bad is it safe to add to the tank?

Smells bad? It will smell fishy. But yes, after you have cured it to the 0 params you are clear to add it to the tank.