Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Did I make another mistake? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/did-i-make-another-mistake-73958/)

bigehugedome 06-30-2011 10:00 PM

Did I make another mistake?

My biggest mistake with my tanks so far was putting my 5 gal on a little walmart bookcase (even after LisaC warned me :/

So I just moved my 5 gal on a taller dresser. When I open and close the drawers, which is going to be at least 2 times a day, the tank rocks a little and the waters moves back and fourth.

Is this stressfull for my betta? Is this stressful on the tank itself?

Hopefully the cats dont jump up and jump off all day....

Barbman 06-30-2011 11:25 PM

I would say the jostling of the tank will be stressful for the fish .. which could lead to a weakening of the immune and then disease ... a possibility.

Inga 07-01-2011 03:35 AM

My concern is that it is not a very solid place for the tank. I have had a tank on a dresser in the past and there was no movement in the water. The dresser was a very old, very heavy piece of furniture. Do you have any other options that might be safer?

Romad 07-01-2011 06:33 AM

I agree. How about a kitchen counter?

bigehugedome 07-01-2011 09:27 AM

@Barbman - Thats what im afraid of

@Inga - The dresser is really old. All solid wood and pretty heavy. It could hold a 10- 15 gallon Im sure, but I guess its just the way the drawers open and close that move the water.

@Romad - Kitchen counter is the only other option I have, but if I do that, I wont be able to enjoy the tank as much. Its also small and gets very hot when we cook so I dont know if thats the best place. I was thinking on getting another tank and putting it in the kitchen but the heat from the oven tells me it may be a bad idea...... Also now that I think about it, the tank would be under a small AC/Heat vent, so temp changes may effect the water.

I guess I need to find another piece to put the tank on, or just be really careful when I go to get my socks :)

AbbeysDad 07-01-2011 11:33 AM

My biggest mistake was not pulling the pin when I threw the grenade, but the other side remembered when they threw it back! True story ...... NOT ;-)

Okay, maybe the dresser isn't the best place. Perhaps you could find an inexpensive short bookcase that it could set atop??

bigehugedome 07-05-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 719135)
My biggest mistake was not pulling the pin when I threw the grenade, but the other side remembered when they threw it back! True story ...... NOT ;-)

Okay, maybe the dresser isn't the best place. Perhaps you could find an inexpensive short bookcase that it could set atop??

I think thats what Ill do, even though I had it on a cheap bookcase to begin with, I should have reinforced it before I put the tank on. I think for now its not a bad Idea keeping it on the dresser. I may put a 10gallon in the kitchen after i see if the ac or oven have an effect on the water first.