Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   How Long Do I Leave Food In? Newbie Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/how-long-do-i-leave-food-73904/)

Sakura8 06-30-2011 09:08 AM

How Long Do I Leave Food In? Newbie Question

Sorry for the total newb question but I just got my cory cats and they're in a quarantine tank. How long should I leave the wafers in the tank? Will they eat in the morning or only at night? They are five juvie pandas and none of them seem interested in eating this morning, shall I try at night? And how many wafers should I leave in? They will be fed Hikari Sinking Wafers and Hikari Algae Wafers unless someone has a better suggestion. Thanks!

Byron 06-30-2011 11:02 AM

Those are good foods, Hikari is a reputable brand. Eventually you may want to get a third or fourth food, variety is better, and Omega One is another good brand and they make sinking foods. Having one that is veggie-based is good, as you have; it helps fish's digestive tract. Corys also like the shrimp pellets, I believe Omega One make one of these. Just make sure they are the sinking foods.

Fish only need to be fed once daily, preferably shortly after the tank light comes on (give them time to "wake up" or adjust, maybe half an hour or a bit longer. Corys also are active during darkness, so they will eat then too. But the food can be added in the morning (= whenever the light comes on). But assuming these corys will eventually be in a tank with other fish, getting them used to the same routine is good.

My fish are used to their feeding schedule, and I always gently tap on the tank frame with the plastic spoon I use to add the food (avoids dumping in too much:shock:). When I sound this "feeding gong," the corys all appear expecting food. This is a good way to be able to see and observe all of them, as they will often spend time under logs, plants, etc.

Depends upon the size of the particular wafer/tablet, but one or two should be sufficient. They will find it; fish have quite a sense of smell and can root out food.

Byron.

Sakura8 06-30-2011 11:18 AM

Thanks so much for the info, Byron. :-) Yes, eventually they will be moved to a bigger tank with my male betta but for now they're so tiny I want to let them grow a bit. I think I read corys eat frozen bloodworms? Also blanched veggies? And I'll look for the Omega food. I feed my bettas Omega so I know it's a good brand.

So it's okay to leave the wafer in there for a few hours? Sorry, I'm used to bettas where you have to get extra food out after 10 minutes. I have a book on catfish but it covers all types so I can never tell if the advice for loricariids and doradiids fits my corys too. :roll:

Byron 06-30-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakura8 (Post 717981)
Thanks so much for the info, Byron. :-) Yes, eventually they will be moved to a bigger tank with my male betta but for now they're so tiny I want to let them grow a bit. I think I read corys eat frozen bloodworms? Also blanched veggies? And I'll look for the Omega food. I feed my bettas Omega so I know it's a good brand.

So it's okay to leave the wafer in there for a few hours? Sorry, I'm used to bettas where you have to get extra food out after 10 minutes. I have a book on catfish but it covers all types so I can never tell if the advice for loricariids and doradiids fits my corys too. :roll:

I would leave it in for a day. It will likely be gone by then, unless you are feeding more than needed, in which case cut back.

Frozen bloodworms are fine, not too often, once or twice a week is enough. You can try real veggies, yam is nutritious, zucchini, maybe cucumber. Remove it after a day (leave it in overnight). You'll have to weight it down somehow, these will float.

Sakura8 06-30-2011 11:43 AM

Thank you so much for your help. I'll pick up a veggie clip at the pet store today. :-)