Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Pressurized CO2 Tank Advice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/pressurized-co2-tank-advice-73895/)

trit0n2003 06-30-2011 01:20 AM

Pressurized CO2 Tank Advice

Looking to invest in a Pressurized system sometime later this year. I have been doing research and am not sure if i should go with a DIY paintball type setup, a pre-assembled kit, or piecing together my own.

I am also confused of the parts needed for a complete setup.

If anyone has info on what has worked for them or is the best bang for the buck i would greatly appreciate it. Or even if you have any links i can read.

This setup will be for my 75g tank, I currently have a 4x 54w T5 HO light system of which I only use 2 bulbs (10000k and 5000k) but would like to make the tank *high tech* and apply all 4 bulbs when i get a CO2 system.

Thank you

roundar 06-30-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trit0n2003 (Post 717630)
Looking to invest in a Pressurized system sometime later this year. I have been doing research and am not sure if i should go with a DIY paintball type setup, a pre-assembled kit, or piecing together my own.

I am also confused of the parts needed for a complete setup.

If anyone has info on what has worked for them or is the best bang for the buck i would greatly appreciate it. Or even if you have any links i can read.

This setup will be for my 75g tank, I currently have a 4x 54w T5 HO light system of which I only use 2 bulbs (10000k and 5000k) but would like to make the tank *high tech* and apply all 4 bulbs when i get a CO2 system.

Thank you

That's going to be too much tank for a paintball tank imo. I got a regulator, 2 glass diffusors, and a 10lb tank for $120 by piecing mine up. Based on that I have to say piecing it together is the best option cost wise.

Here's a couple of GREAT resources for CO2 tank setup, plus DIY(I have no interest in diy, but it includes a lot of other information.)
Do-it-yourself CO2, by Giancarlo Podio
Setting Up an Advanced Pressurized CO2 System, by Giancarlo Podio - This one will help you put together a list of things you need.

trit0n2003 06-30-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundar (Post 717795)
That's going to be too much tank for a paintball tank imo. I got a regulator, 2 glass diffusors, and a 10lb tank for $120 by piecing mine up. Based on that I have to say piecing it together is the best option cost wise.

Here's a couple of GREAT resources for CO2 tank setup, plus DIY(I have no interest in diy, but it includes a lot of other information.)
Do-it-yourself CO2, by Giancarlo Podio
Setting Up an Advanced Pressurized CO2 System, by Giancarlo Podio - This one will help you put together a list of things you need.

Awesome I was looking for an article like the "advanced setup"!

120 sounds alot better than 300-400 like I've seen on assembled kits lol just need to start piecing one together
Posted via Mobile Device

SinCrisis 06-30-2011 01:51 PM

Ive been doing research on setting up a kit as well, from what ive found, it seems that the regulator, and solenoid are pieces that can last nearly forever so they should not be skimped on, everything else can be played around with. You can get a paintball can adapter for a regulator and use paintball cans and if there is not enough, you can always take the adapter off and switch to a 10lb or 5lb can. From my research, it seems that GLA has the best regulators, but they run for around 200 dollars apiece. some up to 500. But if it lasts for many years, like 10, then its only 50 bucks a year.

Mikaila31 07-01-2011 02:47 AM

Any regulator should last. $200 is insane IMO regardless. If you are piecing together a setup a $40 beer/soda regulator will work just fine. You just need to swap the outlet which can be done with any wrench. Most all regulators except a few of the aquarium specific ones are made for commercial use they rarely fail. The regulator on my 55 gallon looks exactly the same as the ones that they have on the soda machines at work.

Any of these will work. I'm sure most hardware stores can hook you up with the proper outlet for the small gauge hose we use for tanks. A regulator is generally multiple parts, the diaphragm, a tank PSI gauge, a line PSI gauge, stem, and output. All these parts can usually be removed easily with a wrench. They are threaded into the diaphragm. Even if something does go wrong with a regulator, which is rare. It can often be repaired.

I agree 100% with the articles above. Don't bother with plastic check valves as I seemed to ruin those in weeks on my pressurized systems. With diffusers check ebay, most the cheap ones come from far overseas. IMO its worth it to order them that way. Ceramic ones do clog, I replace mine like once every year. Generally order a few at a time to save a bit. I use a dremel on mine to grind some of the disk away when it gets really clogged with algae.

trit0n2003 08-22-2011 07:13 PM

decided to go with this setup, all i need to order today is the tank.

Thanks everyone for the input!

http://i52.tinypic.com/2s7f3wx.png

trit0n2003 08-22-2011 08:05 PM

issue has occurred :(

I started thinking about where I would be getting my tank filled in my area, i've been calling place after place and no one refills co2 tanks!

bologna!

anyone have advice on finding them?

ive called up sports chalet, big 5, dicks, home depot (2), lowes (2), paintball store (went out of business), etc etc.

Im going to try calling the paintball fields around me when they are open on the weekends. But dang if i cant find a place nearby im going to be upset

SinCrisis 08-23-2011 03:19 PM

I dont know if you have, but places like sports authority will refill for you as well. You can also try some hardware stores, sometimes they carry it i think...