Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Cichlid losing color?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/cichlid-losing-color-73763/)

Jadgpanther4tw 06-28-2011 02:24 PM

Cichlid losing color??

I have a peacock african cichlid. Best I can see he is just a Red Peacock. I.e. blue head with a rusty red colored body. I got him about a week ago and he seems to have blanched. His colors seem to be almost completely faded when you look at him. When he swims under the hood light you can still detect a hint of his former colors but the undertone is white. I haven't noticed any real odd behavior from him. He spends most of the day swimming around the top of the tank and the nights he keeps low around the rocks. Any ideas as to why his color is gone?

rrcoolj 06-28-2011 04:18 PM

There are alot of variables that can influence fish coloration. It could be your water parameters. Could you tell us what your nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia readings are? It could be tankmates. What other fish do you have with him and what size tank? Could we get a picture of the fish? It could also be stress you have only had the fish for a week. It's not unusual for fish stores to pump their fish with hormones to make them more colorful so maybe he was a victim of that.

Jadgpanther4tw 06-28-2011 08:21 PM

I checked my lvls this morning and it was zero across the board except Nitrates was barely reading at 20 ppm. My ph is buffered by crushed coral and cichlid sand to 8.2. Constant temp is at 82 degrees. I don't think he is a victim of the hormone stuff. I got two other peacocks with him and he is the only one who is faded. I will post pics shortly. I have a decent one of him shortly after putting him in the tank with good coloration. Question: could internal parasites be the cause?

rrcoolj 06-28-2011 08:39 PM

I don't think so but then again i am not super familiar with fish diseases. I know when my fish had parasites their colors did not fade. It could be he is being picked on by the other two peacocks if they are the only fish in the tank. 3 is a bad number to buy cichlids in because 1 or2 fish can be picked on sometimes to death especially if they are all males which it sounds like they are. Do you know what species the other fish are?

Jadgpanther4tw 06-28-2011 08:47 PM

Hard as crap to say honestly. I still have 6 little black finned tetras in the tank from where i cycled my tank with them and they pick on each other CONSTANTLY and the three cichlids completely ignore them. I haven't noticed any aggressive behavior between the three peacocks. And I have tried in vain to find out the species types of the three. THERE ARE JUST SO MANY! The cichlid in question has a blue head and rusty body, one has a metallic blue head and pale bluish white body, and the last one is a dark blue/grey color with bright orange fins. All seem to be very active and swim alot in the open with the tetras. Hard as crap to get them to stay still long enough for a photo op but i am about to post pics of all three!

Jadgpanther4tw 06-28-2011 08:59 PM

Photos

3 Attachment(s)
all three fish

rrcoolj 06-29-2011 11:59 AM

The 2nd pic that shows the dark one with the orange fins, im pretty sure that is a red finy borleyi. The first one looks to be some sort of red peacock species and the last has me puzzled. Honestly their colors don't look that washed out. You have to remember they are still very young. Their colors will mature as they do. Just watch the aggression. Red fin borleyi are one of the nastier hap species.

Jadgpanther4tw 06-29-2011 05:56 PM

Thank you for IDing the grey and orange one. The pic of the blue and rusty colored one is the cichlid in question. I could not get him to hold still long enough to take a pic of him with his colors all faded. he is still faded but seems to be healthy. Yeah i agree with you as far as the lighter blue one having us stumped. Here is a good site with alot of good cichlid profiles.
Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum

rrcoolj 06-29-2011 06:08 PM

Yea as you have probably figured there are alot of peacock species out there and then there are variations of certain species based on location so it can be hard to ID them. But that's why you get them from a reputable source ;). It shouldn't be a problem though since you don't plan on breeding them.

Jadgpanther4tw 06-29-2011 06:12 PM

oh most deff not! lol. No fry for me thank you! I will say this, peacocks are not as interesting as say...golden malawi or kenyi, but still nice fish.