Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Gourami tank mates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/gourami-tank-mates-7374/)

Jpet 08-06-2007 07:34 PM

Gourami tank mates

I currently have a 29 gallon tank with 2 Dwarf Gouramis and 2 Mystery Snails. Could anybody give me some ideas on what types and how many fish I could add. thanks

Falina 08-06-2007 07:39 PM

If I were you, my next step would be a group of 6 cories.

Lupin 08-06-2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie
If I were you, my next step would be a group of 6 cories.

Ditto and then some tetras or rasboras. Avoid black skirts, serpaes and red-eye tetras. There is the likeliest chance of them nipping your gouramis.

Jpet 08-06-2007 11:23 PM

Ok so if I get 6 corys Could I do about 10 neon tetras?

Lupin 08-06-2007 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpet
Ok so if I get 6 corys Could I do about 10 neon tetras?

Your 29 can accommodate more neons than just 10.;) I would prefer 20 along with several live plants for them to feel very secured.

tophat665 08-07-2007 07:35 PM

I'd go with 3 to 5 Botia striata and 8 so Harlequin or Lambchop Rasboras, and a pair or trio of cherry barbs.

Silli_Millivanilli 09-23-2007 09:00 AM

thanks guys. Its sorta the same for me. I have two kissing gouramis. one is about four times bigger than the other. the smaller one however is really causing damage to the bigger one. I woke up yesterday and realized that parts of both the bigger one's fins were gone. the bigger gourami is near death. I was going to buy some more gourami but then i thought maybe angel fish, since I read that they two are aggressive, and would fight back if attacked. but I will definitely look into the tetra thing.

Silli_Millivanilli 09-23-2007 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat665
I'd go with 3 to 5 Botia striata and 8 so Harlequin or Lambchop Rasboras, and a pair or trio of cherry barbs.

that seems like too much for a 29 Gallon tank.

tophat665 09-23-2007 09:41 AM

Would depend of filtration and planting. Bioload is like this:
Gouramis: 5-6 gallons (for both)
Mystery Snail: 5 gallons for both.
So call it 18 gallons of bioload left (If unplanted)

3 B. striata would take half of that. Pair of Cherry Barbs would take another 4 gallons. Leaving 5 gallons. 8 harlequins would fill that. 8 Lambchops would take up maybe 3 or 4 gallons of that.

In a well planted tank, after 6 months, the carrying capacity can be effectively doubled, too, so if the tank were heavily planted, 5 B. striata, One male and 2 female cherry barbs, and 10 Harlequins or up to 15 espis would be fine.

We could quibble at the margins, but that should be about right.

Silli_Millivanilli 09-24-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat665
Would depend of filtration and planting. Bioload is like this:
Gouramis: 5-6 gallons (for both)
Mystery Snail: 5 gallons for both.
So call it 18 gallons of bioload left (If unplanted)

3 B. striata would take half of that. Pair of Cherry Barbs would take another 4 gallons. Leaving 5 gallons. 8 harlequins would fill that. 8 Lambchops would take up maybe 3 or 4 gallons of that.

In a well planted tank, after 6 months, the carrying capacity can be effectively doubled, too, so if the tank were heavily planted, 5 B. striata, One male and 2 female cherry barbs, and 10 Harlequins or up to 15 espis would be fine.

We could quibble at the margins, but that should be about right.

I have one kissing gourami in a 29 gallon tank. I'm think bout adding two more. would this formula work with kissing gouramis too?