Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   No one ate the zucchini (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/no-one-ate-zucchini-73703/)

deman3 06-27-2011 08:04 PM

No one ate the zucchini

So I put a piece of zucchini into my tank and left it there overnight. As I walked passed the tank this morning it was still there in its entirety. My wife just removed it from the tank. Neither the plecos nor the otos touched it at all. Can anyone tell me how to get them to eat the veggies?

BarbH 06-27-2011 11:39 PM

Did you do anything to prepare the zucchini before you added it to the tank? I have not tried feeding zucchinni to my fish yet but from what I have read people say to blanch it before putting it in so that it is softened.

jeaninel 06-28-2011 12:23 AM

Try again with a fresh piece. Sometimes it takes awhile for the fish to discover it's food. I've had ottos who would eat zucchini and some who didn't seem to care for it. I am surprised that the pleco hadn't discovered it though.

SinCrisis 06-28-2011 12:28 AM

you should blanch it to soften it up a little. It does take a while for fish to go for it as well, but blanching it will soften it up and make it easier for the fish to give it a try.

lorax84 06-28-2011 11:07 AM

Some people blanch their zucchini to soften it up, I don't and my plecos never have a problem with it. They will probably take a few times before they understand that it is food, once they stat to associate the zucchini with food they will be all over it as soon as you put it in.

deman3 06-29-2011 06:39 PM

I boiled it and it was extremely soft in the middle when I put it in there. After about an hour I turned the lights out but no one touched it. Neither the Plecs nor the Otos nor anyone else in the tank, 24hrs later it was pulled out, never touched.

ladayen 07-03-2011 05:51 PM

Maybe too soft? From what I understand you should have boiled it then immediatly dropped it into ice cold water.

As others mentioned it may just take awhile for your fish to realize it is food.

GwenInNM 07-03-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deman3 (Post 717145)
I boiled it and it was extremely soft in the middle when I put it in there. After about an hour I turned the lights out but no one touched it. Neither the Plecs nor the Otos nor anyone else in the tank, 24hrs later it was pulled out, never touched.

I've had my loaches eat a hole in the zucchini round that I've left overnight, and other times no one touches it (or so it appears, even though I see them nibble on it). I would offer it occassionally, and try sweet potato. I just posted about how much my Otos loved the stuff! Cut the outside skin away on both of these veggies, and do blanche till a bit soft but not too soft.

Gwen