Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fishkeeping myths. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fishkeeping-myths-73654/)

Byron 06-27-2011 11:43 AM

Fishkeeping myths.

I thought I would share this article. We frequently have mention of fish in small tanks, snails, salt and "cleanup" fish here, so this article in a leading aquarium magazine (UK's Practical Fishkeeping) may add some weight to what several of us maintain on these respective myths.

Fishkeeping myths that just refuse to die | Blog | Practical Fishkeeping

JohnnyD44 06-27-2011 12:10 PM

Thanks for the reading Byron! Was a nice distraction from work!! :-) very interesting read.

Romad 06-27-2011 12:42 PM

Thanks Byron. I like that guys style :)

brownmane 06-27-2011 03:08 PM

fishkeeping myths - vacuuming substrate

Uhoh. I'm fairly new to caring for fish and I thought that a couple of these myths were true:oops: Luckily, I didn't fall for the one about cories keeping the tank clean(because I researched on TFK first:-D

I am confused a bit about the vacuuming of the substrate though. I have a planted aquarium, gravel substrate and vacuum the gravel in some of the area that is not directly planted. Am I not doing a thorough job? I thought that the plants needed some of the fish poop etc to help them grow. I also fertilize them once week with Flourish Comprehensive. Could someone clarify this just a bit more.

Romad 06-27-2011 03:49 PM

What you're doing sounds right. But you might want to siphon above the gravel where the plants are rooted to collect any debris lying at the surface but don't push the siphon down into the gravel around the plants.

That's what I've been doing and it's been working well for me.

Inga 06-27-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 714218)
What you're doing sounds right. But you might want to siphon above the gravel where the plants are rooted to collect any debris lying at the surface but don't push the siphon down into the gravel around the plants.

That's what I've been doing and it's been working well for me.

Agreed. That is what I do as well and I am a bit of an over cleaner. When I first got into fish the fish store saw me coming. I left with a big jug of salt for my aquarium and several varieties of fish that were ill suited for my needs. Now, and thanks in large part to Byron, I know better.

I have grown much in my time with fish and have even conceded that yes, snails ARE good for an aquarium. I won't concede that Ramshorns are any good though. I am however, not on a full out attack against them as long as the numbers stay in check. Not sure how they could possibly reproduce with all the Assassins I have in there and the 2 times a week 50% water changes with gravel vacuuming.

Anyway, I wish we could launch a campaign to stop the sale of Goldfish and Goldfish bowls to unsuspecting pet owners. It isn't that people wish to be cruel, they have simply been led down the wrong path at the pet store. I am so thankful that I found this forum when I did. So many things would be different had I not. For one thing I would have saved hundreds of dollars in NOT getting another tank. ha ha I would have had the wrong fish in the tank, I would still have crappy plastic plants and decor and I likely would have gotten sick of the whole hobby and ran for the hills. I think that is what happens to many. If only they knew the right info first.

Byron, maybe you need to launch a nationwide campaign and some of us could be your sidekicks. ha ha

SinCrisis 06-27-2011 04:36 PM

Great article, but reads like a rant. Since most of us here have been keeping fish for a while and have gone through and heard most of these myths, so we agree with the article and agree with it, but i think the authors writing styles takes away from that, at least to those who are less experienced with fish keeping.. Feels too causal and emotional to be a "authoritative" article.

For those who feel that way and give the article less credit for its content, please note that everything this guy says is true.

bigehugedome 06-27-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 714283)
Great article, but reads like a rant. Since most of us here have been keeping fish for a while and have gone through and heard most of these myths, so we agree with the article and agree with it, but i think the authors writing styles takes away from that, at least to those who are less experienced with fish keeping.. Feels too causal and emotional to be a "authoritative" article.

For those who feel that way and give the article less credit for its content, please note that everything this guy says is true.

I see your point, but at the same time, the people that need to see this article ( the normal salesmen working at the big chains, and the customers they lure into buying fish) may relate to something casual and emotional rather than a long, authoritative article. Its a shame that 90% of people who read that article will be the people on the site who have been keeping fish for a while, and not the people in the chain stores.

It sucks that it is so easy to abuse fish, and there are little to no consequences.

1077 06-28-2011 12:01 AM

So long as the truth is spoken as illustrated in the article mentioned, them I'm fine with the style.
Sometimes, that's how folks need to hear it.8-)

roundar 06-28-2011 08:55 AM

Thanks for the link!