Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Opinions on stocking a new tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/opinions-stocking-new-tank-73636/)

ejcapulet 06-27-2011 12:53 AM

Opinions on stocking a new tank

Recently, my aunt decided she didn't want to bother with her 10-gallon tank and fish - so I volunteered to take them. The fish in the tank are geriatric to say the least: there's a 10-year-old plecostimus, a 6-year-old loach (who is known for being surprisingly flatulent - go fig), some kind of very shy yellow-and-brown eel, a foul-tempered 7-year-old giant danio, and two purple passion something-or-others that look enough like danios that the nasty giant schools with them, but they're both so old they long ago turned from purple to silver. So this means that soon I'll get to stock the tank to my liking but the the current fish give me some time to plan out what I want to do and allows the tank to cycle.

So my question is: I'd LOVE a sorority of female bettas, but I also don't want a single-species tank (unless the girls would kill everything else), I prefer barbs and other shiny or colorful fish, but I don't know which other fish could flourish under the conditions that bettas prefer and would be tolerated by the sorority and how many of each? And (if female bettas are too territorial for other fish) how many female bettas can be housed in a 10-gallon tank?

I know, complicated question - and I do plan on planting the tank with live plants.

Thanks!

1077 06-27-2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejcapulet (Post 713615)
Recently, my aunt decided she didn't want to bother with her 10-gallon tank and fish - so I volunteered to take them. The fish in the tank are geriatric to say the least: there's a 10-year-old plecostimus, a 6-year-old loach (who is known for being surprisingly flatulent - go fig), some kind of very shy yellow-and-brown eel, a foul-tempered 7-year-old giant danio, and two purple passion something-or-others that look enough like danios that the nasty giant schools with them, but they're both so old they long ago turned from purple to silver. So this means that soon I'll get to stock the tank to my liking but the the current fish give me some time to plan out what I want to do and allows the tank to cycle.

So my question is: I'd LOVE a sorority of female bettas, but I also don't want a single-species tank (unless the girls would kill everything else), I prefer barbs and other shiny or colorful fish, but I don't know which other fish could flourish under the conditions that bettas prefer and would be tolerated by the sorority and how many of each? And (if female bettas are too territorial for other fish) how many female bettas can be housed in a 10-gallon tank?

I know, complicated question - and I do plan on planting the tank with live plants.

Thanks!

With lot's of plant's you could possibly have five or six female betta's but I would add them all at same time,same size. Would not add any other fish if this is route taken.
A healthy ten year old plecostomus unless it is one of a few of the smaller species, should be around ten to twelve inches long or more and would have difficulty turning around in ten gallon tank not to mention that they, as well as the smaller varieties,, produce large amounts of poop daily which makes maintaining clean enviornment much more difficult.
Loaches are shoaling species and really do best in groups of six or more and ten gallons is way too small for this with exception of maybe Khulli loaches.
Have no expierience with eels but believe many of them also need much larger tank than ten gallons to attain proper growth.
Barbs need lot's of swimming room and twenty gallon long tank would be minimum in my view. Betta's prefer warm 78 to 80 degree temps which would be too warm for many of the smaller tetra's and tetra's, could begin to nip at betta's or vice versa.
I would find new homes for the fish presently in the ten gallon and either go with the five or six female betta's or a shoal of small tetra's,endler's,guppies,white clouds,celestial pearl danios,or perhaps furcata's ,or threadfin rainbows.
Hope this helps some.

Byron 06-27-2011 11:20 AM

Yes, I think you have two options: keep the tank "as is" until the respective fish die; or get rid of all of them and start anew.

Clearly conditions are not to the best health-wise for any of those fish. It is often the case that a fish will "survive" in such conditions (by which I refer to too little space, not in a group, etc) but this can have impact on the fish internally and it may be kindest to allow it to live out its days "naturally." If placed in a proper environment, such as the loach or barb in a large tank with several of its own species, it could be hounded to death due to its weakness, deformity, whatever.

Byron.