Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Advice for used tank I bought (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/advice-used-tank-i-bought-73629/)

nonvolatilelife 06-26-2011 11:25 PM

Advice for used tank I bought

55 gallon aquarium, stand, two lights with hood, two filters, air pump, air hoses, lots of fake plants, and one fake hollowed log ornament. Also a bunch of water conditioning, a gravel vacuum, back of tank decoration and gravel to cover the bottom for $100.

The thing that worries me is that he gave me all of his chemicals and there's about 5 bottles of this aqua clear/clear water stuff and the walls of the aquarium are kind of cloudy. (it's empty)

So a couple questions, will whatever this guy had that might have ruined his aquarium pass on to mine? And how can I clean not just the aquarium, but the plants, filters, gravel and heater. I've heard extremely watered down chlorine, but how watered down?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Reefing Madness 06-26-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonvolatilelife (Post 713525)
55 gallon aquarium, stand, two lights with hood, two filters, air pump, air hoses, lots of fake plants, and one fake hollowed log ornament. Also a bunch of water conditioning, a gravel vacuum, back of tank decoration and gravel to cover the bottom for $100.

The thing that worries me is that he gave me all of his chemicals and there's about 5 bottles of this aqua clear/clear water stuff and the walls of the aquarium are kind of cloudy. (it's empty)

So a couple questions, will whatever this guy had that might have ruined his aquarium pass on to mine? And how can I clean not just the aquarium, but the plants, filters, gravel and heater. I've heard extremely watered down chlorine, but how watered down?

Use vineager. You can also boil water to clean the filters, plants, heater etc. If he used Copper in the tank, you are not going to get that out of the glass. And you can't see it either. They have to tell you it was used. Or it can leach into the system, and that can be very bad.

nonvolatilelife 06-26-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 713540)
Use vineager. You can also boil water to clean the filters, plants, heater etc. If he used Copper in the tank, you are not going to get that out of the glass. And you can't see it either. They have to tell you it was used. Or it can leach into the system, and that can be very bad.

Why would he use copper in the tank? And how can I tell if he did?

Reefing Madness 06-27-2011 12:26 AM

Some keep copper in the tank to keep Ich from entering the tank, among other infections. Whoever had the tank would have to tell you they used it. Other than that I don't know of any other means of knowing.

1077 06-27-2011 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonvolatilelife (Post 713525)

Assuming the tank was freshwater tank, I would clean everything with warm to hot water and vinegar.
I would purchase new gravel and would throw away all chemicals and purchase a bottle of PRIME dechlorinator.
Can use scotch brite pad and vinegar/water to clean the glass inside.Would soak everything else in bathtub with warm water and vinegar and then scrub with old tooth brush or similar type brush.
I would not trust the gravel to be inert and would maybe go to lawn and garden store and search for smallish size pea gravel.