Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (
-   Catfish (
-   -   Upside down Cat??????????? (

bf2king 08-06-2007 08:20 AM

Upside down Cat???????????
I have a small upside down cat in a 10 gallon with some zebra danios and 2 black skirted tetras. at present all he dooes is hide in a colerful clay cave and i hadnt even seen him since i put him in the tank 3 days ago until this morning.Is this normal behavor

jsm11482 08-06-2007 08:43 AM

A lot of catfish will only come out at night. I just put a new spotted raphael in my tank and a few hours later he is nowhere to be found! They love to hide.

jones57742 08-06-2007 12:47 PM

Many catfish have "very pretty colorations" which are not displayed by other fish.

"What I do" is to place the rock and wood holes to "point toward" the front of the aquarium. When they are "hiding" in the holes at least a portion of them can be observed.

They are "smart little devils though".
My Queen Arabesque Plecos (which are very, very pretty fish)
have found crevices extending into the rocks from the holes
and hide in these crevices.
All I can typically observe is the rear 1/3 of their bodies and their tails.

My Gold Nugget Plecos (which are also very, very pretty fish)
function according to "my theory" and can normally be observed in the rock and wood holes.

Gump 08-06-2007 02:42 PM

Normal behavior and one of the reasons why this species of synodontis is my least favorite.

bf2king 08-06-2007 08:49 PM

I thank you for the info on this thread and any others that you might have posted to help me out. :)

zazzified 08-09-2007 10:13 AM

Are they more likely to come out if they have more upside down cats with them, or will it make no difference? I know they like buddies.