Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   What type of snail is best? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/what-type-snail-best-7355/)

Julie's Julies 08-06-2007 01:30 AM

What type of snail is best?

I have a 55-gallon used tank that came with several snails. These suckers are the most ugly things I have ever seen: they have a long spirally shell and their mouth appendage looks like a movable arm that they swing all around themselves while hunting for algae.

What I really want is one giant snail to be my algae eater rather than the dozen or so little ugly things. I have a high ph and no live plants, though I would prefer one that does not eat live foliage in case I can ever get live plants in there. What type would anyone recommend? Will it produce offspring if I keep only one? What will it do to the other snails that are already present in the tank?

fish_4_all 08-06-2007 01:43 AM

Well the only ones that are true "Algae Eaters" are Nerite Snails. Though they can be a good one they are not always available acclimated to fresh water. If you just want a big snail get a Mystery Snail. They will eat a little algae and they get pretty big and can be entertaining.

Of course if you really want a big snail a Cana Apple snail will be the biggest but you won't be able to have live plants.

Julie's Julies 08-06-2007 03:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I might go for the apple - I would like a giant snail so that I can keep track of it amidst the dense plants. And since I have fake foliage for now, it doesn't matter that it might eat live plants. I'll just move him if I ever do get real plants in there.

fish_4_all 08-06-2007 03:54 PM

Just make sure oyu know which one you are getting.

Apple Snails come in two common forms:
Bridgessi which is the common mystery snail and gets to about the size of a golfball
Cana is the true apple snail and gets to the size of a softball.

willow 08-06-2007 05:00 PM

hi
please forgive the dumb question..............however
what is considered a soft ball,and is it bigger than a golf ball. ?

Trishfish 08-06-2007 05:10 PM

A golfball is about 2 inches across. A softball is 4 inches. May not seem like much until you see them in person. Cana's also only come in yellow and browns. Pomacea bridgesii comes in purples, pink, blues, golds....many choices.

willow 08-06-2007 05:15 PM

thank you Trishfish,
that's something to consider if i ever want one.
:)

fish_4_all 08-06-2007 05:18 PM

Sorry, another way to look at it would Mysteries get to the size of plum and Cana get the size of a grape fruit.

willow 08-07-2007 02:54 AM

that's a lot of snail.
4inches sort of sounded big,but when you compare it
withan actuall thing :shock:

Julie's Julies 08-08-2007 02:21 PM

Wow, that's huge! I will have to figure out just what I want/need. Maybe the mystery would be a good choice since - I think the cana will get too big for what I want.