Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Tetras!!!? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/tetras-73494/)

bubbles1 06-25-2011 07:42 AM

Tetras!!!?

hello everyone, i just needed some help with fish in my tank. well actually thats the problem i dont have any, well i do and its a pair of kribs and a pair of bolivian rams and 6 cories 1 pleco and 6 guppies, i was looking to purchase like to different groups of characins or schooling fish. my tank is a 55 gallon decently planted if you could give advice on some species that would be great!!;-)

bubbles1 06-25-2011 09:36 AM

hello??

sik80 06-25-2011 11:36 AM

do you know the ph and hardness of your tap water? Knowing this would help people advise suitable fish for your tank

Byron 06-25-2011 12:31 PM

True. But I will assume you have basic medium hard water with livebearers, so if you check the characin profiles you will find some fish that manage in slightly basic water (= pH in 7's with medium hardness). Something like Pristella Tetra comes to mind, but there are others. Each profile has info on preferred water parameters.

bubbles1 06-25-2011 01:55 PM

well the ph is about 7.2 and the hardness is about 33 would that be alright for most schooling species, in particular though i like harlaquin rasboras because they generally school tightly, and on the other hand though i was thinking something larger like a barb or large tetra school so i could have a school of about 10 smaller schooling fish and 6 larger scholling fish

Byron 06-25-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles1 (Post 712097)
well the ph is about 7.2 and the hardness is about 33 would that be alright for most schooling species, in particular though i like harlaquin rasboras because they generally school tightly, and on the other hand though i was thinking something larger like a barb or large tetra school so i could have a school of about 10 smaller schooling fish and 6 larger scholling fish

Among the barbs, a peaceful species like the Black Ruby Barb (this is a real beauty), Golden Barb, Odessa Barb, Rosy Barb, one of these in a group of 7-9. These should be OK with the medium/larger chatracins or danio but not with the "dwarf" species. Among characins, the beautiful Congo Tetra from Africa in a group of 5-7. Harlequin Rasbora or one of the other medium rasbora, in a group of 8-10. Lots to choose from. These are all in our profiles.

bubbles1 06-25-2011 07:40 PM

i really like the black ruby barb i think i would school of those and harlaquin rasbora!!! it will look great:)but one last qeustion. i was searching through fish that are peaceful large centerpieces. i was thinking convicts. i know of their reputation for breeding alot and be aggressive but is that only in pairs , would i be able to get a single male or two males or females to live peacefully?

1077 06-25-2011 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles1 (Post 712386)
i really like the black ruby barb i think i would school of those and harlaquin rasbora!!! it will look great:)but one last qeustion. i was searching through fish that are peaceful large centerpieces. i was thinking convicts. i know of their reputation for breeding alot and be aggressive but is that only in pairs , would i be able to get a single male or two males or females to live peacefully?

Kribs,convict (s) will make quick work of smaller fishes (eat) as they mature.
Adult kribs can reach five inches and same for convict (s).

bubbles1 06-26-2011 10:51 AM

alright well it was just a thought :P and one last qeustion how about a severum or a pair of angels 2 females?

bubbles1 06-26-2011 12:39 PM

and also thinking about a peacful african cichlid like a peacock cichlid or a yellow lab??