Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   newbie! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/newbie-73418/)

kfedd 06-24-2011 09:59 AM

newbie!

hi all!!

i just got my 20 gal rectangle tank set up :-D! it has brown gravel floor and a couple decorations! i don't know what i should stock!! i plan on getting my water tested tonight and possibly getting fish this weekend!
would you be able to give me some suggestions on compatibility different fish? i would like some action in all levels of the tank(top, mid, bottom). thank you for any advise you can give me, it is greatly appreciated!!

kfedd 06-24-2011 11:48 AM

i like the bristlenose pleco, could this be a good fit?

Byron 06-24-2011 01:47 PM

Hi and welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

First, a tank must "cycle" when first set up. You can read about this in the "sticky" at the head of this section of the forum entitled "A Beginner's Guide to the Freshwater Aquarium Cycle."

Second, some fish have preferences for water hardness and pH, others are sort of adaptable. So first knowing your tap water hardness and pH wilol help you (and us) in selecting suitable fish.

We have fish profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. Most of the regularly-available fish are included. Each profile give water preferences, compatibility, number of that species needed (some fish are shoaling fish and need to be in a group), minimum tank size for that species, etc.

Live plants are another option. They help keep the water stable, assist in cycling, etc.

This will get you started.

Byron.

kfedd 06-24-2011 02:31 PM

thank you for the info Byron!!
my tank has been up and running for a week now and i will be posting the specs of the water tonight after i get them. i guess the forum would be more help when i have all the needed info.

i have been looking through the fish profiles and am learning a lot!! i am curious though, is there a place that is easier to see this, perhaps a compatibility chart or something similar? though i am enjoying reading about all these fish, it is very time consuming and a lot of leisure work, while i am actually at work.

BarbH 06-24-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfedd (Post 710972)
thank you for the info Byron!!
my tank has been up and running for a week now and i will be posting the specs of the water tonight after i get them. i guess the forum would be more help when i have all the needed info.

i have been looking through the fish profiles and am learning a lot!! i am curious though, is there a place that is easier to see this, perhaps a compatibility chart or something similar? though i am enjoying reading about all these fish, it is very time consuming and a lot of leisure work, while i am actually at work.

Here is a link to a compatibility chart that I came across should be helpful. I would still check out the information available for each individual fish to make sure, but this should help some.
Freshwater & Brackish Compatibility Chart

Byron 06-24-2011 04:24 PM

The problem with any type of guide, like the one Barb linked, is that it is very general to the point of being of minimal use. For example, it says Tetra are compatible with Tetra, but many are not compatible with many other tetra.

Compatibility involves several factors. Filtration (some fish need more water movement, others need little if any), decor (some fish need caves, bogwood, rock for hiding spots), plants, the length or height of the tank (active swimmers need more length), water parameters, temperature. Then we get to behaviours, for which many species are individual.

Once you know the tap water parameters, this will narrow down a bit. But then you have to decide what type of tank do you want? Do you want quiet, sedate fish? Or more active fish? These do not work well together. An aquarium of truly "compatible" fish, in all senses of the word, will be more enjoyable for you because the fish will be healthier.

kfedd 06-24-2011 04:34 PM

Thank you Barb!

BarbH 06-24-2011 04:40 PM

I would agree Byron, which is why I still suggested reading up on the profiles of the different fish. Something like that should only be used as a baisc guide and not the final determination of the fish to be put together. :-)

kfedd 06-24-2011 05:06 PM

i thank you both for the information! i will use the tools at hand to make my decision and will let you all know how it turns out!
:-)