Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   tank leveling (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/tank-leveling-7341/)

swainy 08-05-2007 05:02 PM

tank leveling

hi there i have a 6ft long 125 gal tank when i lvled it it was lvl i filled it with water and everything and now its been 2 weeks and now it split in the one corner so i checked and it wasnt lvl so i emptied it and tried to lvl it and it said it was so i filled it back up and it split even more so i checked and it wasnt lvl so not its only half full un lvl with a crack its not leaking so im going to keep it for a while but how should i lvl this huge thing with uneven concrete as a floor?

Lupin 08-05-2007 10:24 PM

Do you use carpenter's level? Use it and while doing so, you may use a stack of coins glued together which are then placed on the leg of the stand where the floor is uneven. Be sure to empty your tank in your attempt to slip the stack of coins under the leg. Keep adding a coin each until you are sure that the tank is levelled.

jones57742 08-05-2007 11:03 PM

SW:

What we refer to as glass is "really not a stable media".

Subjected to small stresses glass will "flow" in order to relieve the stress.

The tank was probably not "leveled" where it was previously placed.

Leveling it now is producing the "as you put it" split in one corner.

If I were "trying to deal with this" I would "chunk" the aquarium as it may fail catastrophically and you will have "fish, water and plants" "all over the floor".

"In my brain" this eventuality is not worth $55.

TR

mHeinitz57 08-06-2007 10:19 AM

thats a lot of quotation marks...lol. I agree though, if there is any structural damage whatsoever, throw the tank out. That is a LOT of water that you do not want dumping out onto your floor someday.

swainy 08-06-2007 05:37 PM

thanks everyone

fish_4_all 08-06-2007 06:11 PM

Well I don't know if I would chuck the tank but I would definately not use it with a crack in the glass. You could get someone to fix it or DIY. If it is brand new I would take it back to where I got it. If they are anywhere near the price they are here, I would be throwing away $600. I would at least take it apart and cut the glass to make a smaller aquarium or even 3-5 of them.

jones57742 08-07-2007 12:30 PM

F4A:

The "problem with that" is that new glass is produced with no stresses longitudinally or transversely (ie. if you lay a sheet of glass of horizontally on a uniform surface or "stand the glass on one side" the only stress which "will be felt by the glass" is its "own weight".

When glass "warps" the stresses are quadratic and not linear.

ie. when the glass is cut the stresses will still be present.

Hence: even after the work expended the glass tank "my still fracture 'at the corners'".

TR

fish_4_all 08-07-2007 02:32 PM

As for leveling the tank, I am not sure what I would do. It starts level but when you add water it goes out of level. The only explanation I have been able to find for that would be something wrong with the stand or whatever it is you have it on. Something internally is not holding the weight and keeping the tank level.

As for the glass can you be a little clearer on what is happening? It sounds like the actual glass has cracked. Is that the case or is the silicone simply seperating in the corner?

As for glass warping, every tank does it and every window does it. I was under the impression that it was made to bend so it doesn't explode when something hits it, when the wind blows really hard or it is used in a fish tank but I could be wrong. None of those stresses are vertical but the glass is often resused and cut for smaller windows and fish tanks. Does this mean that a used tank is not suitable to be cut into a smaller tank becasue the glass in the tank has bowed and had something other than verticle stress on it?

jones57742 08-07-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
Does this mean that a used tank is not suitable to be cut into a smaller tank becasue the glass in the tank has bowed and had something other than verticle stress on it?

yes.

If the tank was fairly well leveled while being previously used then "no problem".

If the tank is refilled with water or not, "leveled" and exhibits any sign of distress (ie. cracking in a corner) then "chunk it".

In "West Texan" "it just aint worth figuring out how to get" the sintered glass, fish, plants and water off the carpet at 3 in the morning.

TR

jsm11482 08-07-2007 03:07 PM

I agree that this sounds very dangerous to even fill up and use. How much "unlevel" is it? like 1/4 inch or an inch, etc? My tank is about 3/16 unlevel form one and to the other and it annoys me but other than that it works fine.