Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   35 Gallon stocking ideas (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/35-gallon-stocking-ideas-73374/)

Fishylover27 06-23-2011 05:58 PM

35 Gallon stocking ideas

:-)Any suggestions?? I was thinking of a tropical community....but any ideas are happily taken:-P:-P Thanks a bunch!!!:-) Oh and the tank is hexagonal!!

Barbman 06-23-2011 07:46 PM

You could have a nice Barb tank. 3 each TigerBarb, Green TigerBarb, Albino TigerBard and for some added color 4 Male Odessa Barbs All of those fish are very active and the Tigers will all shoal with each other. The Odessas will also shoal with them, but maybe not as frequent.

If you want to do another type of fish ... I've read Zebra Danios are OK with Barbs.

Fishylover27 06-23-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbman (Post 710169)
You could have a nice Barb tank. 3 each TigerBarb, Green TigerBarb, Albino TigerBard and for some added color 4 Male Odessa Barbs All of those fish are very active and the Tigers will all shoal with each other. The Odessas will also shoal with them, but maybe not as frequent.

If you want to do another type of fish ... I've read Zebra Danios are OK with Barbs.

Thanks so much for the reply(: Do barbs do OK in hexagonal tanks??? I like the idea though:-P:-P

Barbman 06-23-2011 11:54 PM

I've seen pic of them in hex tanks so I I'm guessing yes.

BarbH 06-24-2011 12:25 AM

Is there any particular type of fish that you are interested in? Up at the top of the page is the tab for the tropical fish profiles. There is a lot of information available about the fish, certain water parameters that they may require, temperment, how large they get along with suggested minimum size aquarium to keep them in. It is a great resource if you have not checked it out yet. Also your water conditions will determine what type of fish are best kept in what you have available, especially if you are going to be using tap water. Also welcome to the forums :-D

Fishylover27 06-24-2011 11:48 AM

Thanks so much BarbH I will have to check that out:) Also, I was interested in the guppy,platy,molly,tetra community?? how many of each would I be able to fit?? And thanks for the help Barbman :) I really appreciate it!!

BarbH 06-24-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishylover27 (Post 710792)
Thanks so much BarbH I will have to check that out:) Also, I was interested in the guppy,platy,molly,tetra community?? how many of each would I be able to fit?? And thanks for the help Barbman :) I really appreciate it!!

Your welcome :-) With guppies, mollies or platys you want to make sure that you have a ratio of at least 2 females to one male, the males tend to always be interested in the female and one lone female could be harrassed to death by the male. Having more females allows them to not always be constantly chased around by the male. One of the things to think about is what you are going to do with the fry. If left within the community tank a good portion of the fry will probably become fish food although it is likely that some will survive especially if they have adequate places for hiding.

Another thing to keep in mind is that tetras need to be kept in groups of at least six or more.

Fishylover27 06-25-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbH (Post 710995)
Your welcome :-) With guppies, mollies or platys you want to make sure that you have a ratio of at least 2 females to one male, the males tend to always be interested in the female and one lone female could be harrassed to death by the male. Having more females allows them to not always be constantly chased around by the male. One of the things to think about is what you are going to do with the fry. If left within the community tank a good portion of the fry will probably become fish food although it is likely that some will survive especially if they have adequate places for hiding.

Another thing to keep in mind is that tetras need to be kept in groups of at least six or more.

Do you have any preferences on guppies,tetras, mollies, etc. Oh and swordtails can be in a tropical community right? thanks so much for helping(:

BarbH 06-25-2011 12:01 PM

I have not kept guppies or mollies myself, guppies for me is not a good choice because of the angel fish that I have. Although I do like the look of guppies, there are interesting and beautiful colorations of them. Swordtails can be kept in a community tank and stocking recommendations for them are the same as guppies and mollies.

On the tetras I currently have black widow tetras, my choice of them again was influenced because of my angels. My tetras are very active and have been doing well with everyone elese in the community. Some of the tetras do tend to be fin nippers, which you would want to be careful with if you do guppies. I would definitly read the profiles on the tetras so that you are able to find one that is suited well.

Fishylover27 06-25-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbH (Post 711951)
I have not kept guppies or mollies myself, guppies for me is not a good choice because of the angel fish that I have. Although I do like the look of guppies, there are interesting and beautiful colorations of them. Swordtails can be kept in a community tank and stocking recommendations for them are the same as guppies and mollies.

On the tetras I currently have black widow tetras, my choice of them again was influenced because of my angels. My tetras are very active and have been doing well with everyone elese in the community. Some of the tetras do tend to be fin nippers, which you would want to be careful with if you do guppies. I would definitly read the profiles on the tetras so that you are able to find one that is suited well.

thanks for the tetra advice(: and yes I do plan to have guppies:-) I like angels, but my family has never had luck with them): I will definetly read up on them!