Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Planning an Aquascaped Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/planning-aquascaped-tank-73320/)

DanielaMarie 06-22-2011 09:52 PM

Planning an Aquascaped Tank

Hey everyone!

I am trying to plan a tank, I'm not sure what size yet, for my dorm room at college, and I was wondering how planted my tank should be, and with what plants? Can you help me out?
My options are:
2.5 gallon with one male betta splenden
5.5 gallon with one male betta splenden and some community fish (most likely cories)
10 gallon with one male betta splenden and some community fish (either cories only or cories and neon tetras)

I know cories like sand as supposed to gravel, which I will be getting if I get cories.

Thank you in advance!

1077 06-23-2011 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielaMarie (Post 709052)
Hey everyone!

I am trying to plan a tank, I'm not sure what size yet, for my dorm room at college, and I was wondering how planted my tank should be, and with what plants? Can you help me out?
My options are:
2.5 gallon with one male betta splenden
5.5 gallon with one male betta splenden and some community fish (most likely cories)
10 gallon with one male betta splenden and some community fish (either cories only or cories and neon tetras)

I know cories like sand as supposed to gravel, which I will be getting if I get cories.

Thank you in advance!

Anything smaller than ten gallons is suited For only one Betta.
Betta's don't always tolerate other fishes and are best kept alone for this reason.
Betta's prefer 78 to 82 degree temps which is too warm for small tetra's and or cory's who much prefer cooler 72 to 75 degree temps over the long haul.

Byron 06-23-2011 11:24 AM

Agree. A single Betta on its own, fine, in a 5g. If you go with a 10g, select small (the "dwarf" type species) fish but no Betta. You could have a very active and nice display with small fish.

Mosquito Rasbora, Scarlet Badis, Ember Tetra, Celestial Pearl Danio, Emerald Dwarf Rasbora, corys (group of 3-5) for the substrate... lots to choose from. These names are shaded meaning they are included in pour profiles, click on the name to see the info. Corys are under catfish, and many species are in our profiles.

GFor plants, depends somewhat on light; you will need an overtank light. For small tanks, the less expensive incandescent fixtures work fine with one or two compact fluorescent bulbs in a daylight (around 6500K). Two 10w CF daylight bulbs over a 10g is sufficient. Plants like pygmy chain swords, Brazilian Pennywort which can also float (floating plants are always good with these fish), Java Fern, Java Moss...these are also in our profiles.

Byron.