Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   SCRATCH 30 GALLON BELOW AND MAKE IT 55G MAYBE 75G (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/scratch-30-gallon-below-make-55g-7330/)

FISHSD 08-04-2007 07:58 PM

SCRATCH 30 GALLON BELOW AND MAKE IT 55G MAYBE 75G

Sorry Lupin and everybody else who helped me, but seeing that i cannot decide between my redtail and cichlids ive decided to get a seperate 55g maybe 75g for cichlids. The cichlids will obviously be better off. Now do you think i will succesfully be able to keep multiple speciees of mbunas?? I am thinking definitley a few electric yellows and red zebras cichlids. I want electric blue cichlids and a catfish but those are probably too big for a 55g. I would like some different colors and it would be great if you could give me advice on both 55 and 75 gallons.
THANKS ALOT

Lupin 08-04-2007 08:03 PM

55 gallons is better than 30.:mrgreen: Synodontis multipunctatus, eupterus or nigriventris will look good in that tank.

FISHSD 08-04-2007 08:12 PM

Ok well i dont really know what those are but what about a cobalt blue zebra (pseudotropheus zebra). The site that sells alot of fish and the site i looked for the fish you mentioned was liveaquaria.com. Someone said to stay away from kenyi and bumblebee cichlids.

herefishy 08-04-2007 08:15 PM

There is nothing wrong with putting mbuna in a 30g tank or a 55g tank. If you do so, you must realize that either of these tanks will only serve as "grow out" tanks and both will eventually have to be replaced with a larger tank anyway. The absolute minimum tank size for a group of mbuna would be a 75g-90g (these tanks are 48" long and 24" front to back - the 90 is 24" tall and the 75g is 20" tall I believe). The perfect size for a mbuna tank is a 125g or a 135g, both are 60" long. This allows for an adequate rockwork layout and will provide ample area for the fish to stake out territories.
I have found in all of my years of keeping these piscavores that heavy stocking, major, major filtration, and lots of rockwork with lots of caves is the way to go. I have found that this method diminishes skirmishes and prevents losing alot of fish due to aggression.

FISHSD 08-04-2007 08:21 PM

The dimensions for a 55g are 48in by 12in by 21in and 75g are 48 in by 18 in by 21 in. Is that extra 6 inches a big difference?? A lot of people said to go with the 75g but with a 55g you could keep 3-5 species of mbuna.

herefishy 08-04-2007 08:27 PM

To give you a simple answer......yes. Kenyii, accii, zebras, and bumblebees are all very closely related. These are all algae scraping species. Haps on the other hand tend to be a little more aggressive and are omnivorous and eat both plant and animal matter.

FISHSD 08-04-2007 09:00 PM

ok well what would work with electric yellows and red zebras?? would a cobalt blue zebra work??

dreesa 08-04-2007 11:43 PM

Here is a pic of an adult Synodontis eurpterus of mine. He is an awesome fish, and knows how to stand up to cichlids, and can even get a little mean himself sometimes. He has topped out in size around 6-7in, and he is a vaccuum cleaner. The coolest part about this cat is the way his fins trail off. Also known as a featherfin catfish.http://fishforum.com/userpix/1766_Catfish1_1.jpg

FISHSD 08-05-2007 12:11 AM

What size tank is he in?? some People tell me 55g is too small which is what im probably gonna get but possibly a 75g

dreesa 08-05-2007 09:58 PM

He is in a 125 now, but most of his life was spent in a 46 gallon tank with a few Malawi africans. Obviously, I'd recommend the 75 over the 55, but you decide that on your budget, the 55 would be fine for most africans because they don't get huge. I've seen plenty of successful 55 gal african tanks. The two tanks are exactly same except for the the width of the tank right? The width makes it easier for you fish to swim and turn around without slamming into glass.