Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Would penguin & lemon tetras get along??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/would-penguin-lemon-tetras-get-along-73149/)

tomncassie 06-20-2011 06:07 PM

Would penguin & lemon tetras get along???

I have a 100 gallon tank with three small silver dallors one bristlenose and one cory.I would like to get three penguin and lemons tetras.I know theyre shoaling fish but would three or maybe four of each get along with each other and with the rest of my fish???:roll:

LasColinasCichlids 06-20-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomncassie (Post 706707)
I have a 100 gallon tank with three small silver dallors one bristlenose and one cory.I would like to get three penguin and lemons tetras.I know theyre shoaling fish but would three or maybe four of each get along with each other and with the rest of my fish???:roll:

Yes, they would get along... however I would not expect them to shoal together as if they were all the same species. I would do at least 6+ of each. Both of these are very peaceful and shouldnt bother your other fish, or each other. And for your cory, I too would be sure to add more to give him the group he needs... also a shoaling fish needed 6+ to be happy and healthy. With your tank size (100g) you should be fine with that many.

tomncassie 06-20-2011 06:38 PM

Thanks for your advice.Sounds great thats just what Ill do.Take care LasColinasCichlids.

Byron 06-21-2011 12:32 PM

Definitely more. As you have space, a group of 9-11 of each species would be best; the more there are, the more relaxed and natural the fish will be, and that can be very entertaining when they interact as they would in the wild.

And speaking of groups, your cory is also a shoaling fish that live in groups of hundreds in the wild. At least 5 of a species is best, though 3 will work if there is more than one species, but I would never have less than 3 of each species if at all possible.

And Silver Dollar is also shoaling, a group of 6-7 minimum would be best. Another reason to increase the tetra group is fin nipping. Many characins will take out their frustration at being in small groups of their own species by becoming somewhat aggressive, frequently first seen as nipping fins of larger fish, and the SD is quite a temptation.

You can read more about these fish in our profiles, click on the shaded names to see that fish's profile.
Penguin Tetra
Lemon Tetra
Silver Dollar

Byron.

tomncassie 06-21-2011 12:40 PM

I would like to get six or seven of each group but the cost is holding me back right now.Would it be good say if i bought three now then bought three or four later like four or six weeks later would that be good to complete a group of tetras or silver dollars or consentrate on one group at a time?

Byron 06-21-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomncassie (Post 707476)
I would like to get six or seven of each group but the cost is holding me back right now.Would it be good say if i bought three now then bought three or four later like four or six weeks later would that be good to complete a group of tetras or silver dollars or consentrate on one group at a time?

I suggest acquiring each characin species as a complete group at the same time, rather than a few of this and a few of that.

Shoaling fish need company for security; they simply feel "safe" in larger groups. And being introduced to a new environment is very stressful on fish, so they are more likely to settle in better and faster the more there are of the species. Safety in numbers is their obvious thinking.

In your situation, if all these fish are available now, perhaps increasing the SD first. The fish store might hold the others for you; after all, they want your business and should understand.

SD do eat plants by the way, so if you intend a planted aquarium (which is advisable for the other characins) this may be an issue. I mention this because removing the SD's might be another option so you wouldn't want to add to them now.

Byron.

tomncassie 06-21-2011 05:46 PM

Sorry for the late call back but I was at my lunch break earlyer.I think i will buy two more SD for now and get the penguin tetras later as a group of five or more.the store still has the same group of silver dollars so I will go get the SD and plan on getting the group of tetras later.THANKS for the info!!